Ich in planted tank with rcs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Funkyfishgorl

Reaction score
hi all,

My betta started to show signs of ich and so I treated it last week with esta exit to no avail, I then treated it again a few days ago with both esta exit and 2000 as this is supposedly more effective yet this has clearly not worked. I had the temp raised as well so I am now giving up on esha. I found that salt and higher temperatures are shrimp safe method for treating ich as well.
My real question is if my last treatment was today, how soon can I use the salt and how much of a water change should I do to get rid of the esha medication? Also, how much salt should I use that isn’t too high for my shrimp?

Raise the temperature to 30C (86F) for 2 weeks. The heat will kill the parasites and you won't need to use chemicals.

Do a big (75-90%) water change and complete gravel clean before raising the temperature. This dilutes the number of disease organisms in the water and will buy the fish some time while the heat treatment does its job.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine before it's added to the tank.

I agree, the medications most often dont work, and often do more harm then good :) heat is the way to go

I agree. Increased temperature (86F/30C) is tolerated by most tropical fish (meaning the warmer water species) and will be effective over two weeks. As this is a Betta, high temperatures are even less problematic so you could increase the temperature a bit above 86F/30C. Do a substantial water change to get rid of the chemicals, they are dangerous regardless of what manufacturers may try to tell us; you can also use the W/C to increase the temp part way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back