I Was Shocked... Advise?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NightLad

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was in a Canadian Tire the other day (mega hardware store) looking for a new kettle for my dad's birthday. As I was walking toward the checkout I passed a shelf of decorative live bamboo in those little pots. On a shelf beside them was some live plants in clear vases, their roots dipping into the water, and what did I spot? A pale, skinny blue Betta fish circling the waterline of one of the vases. I was shocked. There were no other fish in any of the vases so... what the heck was it doing there? I know that this type of thing is considered 'fashionable' these days, but, sheesh! It could not have been fed easily, with all the plants stuffed in there. I felt so terrible, but at the same time, I didn't have the $$$ to buy the god-awful floral vase. I felt so awful walking out of the store.

I sent a letter to the management of the store and the company for whatever good it will do.

How do others deal with seeing things like this?

I still feel bad. Thanks for your time. Any advise is more than welcome!

:unsure: Poor fish! Unfortunately just because bettas can survive in terrible conditions, some people exploit them.

I have to say that most stores over here are alright with their bettas but I've seen a store in my local area keep bettas in those little cups, and it was so sad. All we can do to make a stand is to support the stores that DO treat their bettas right and boycott the ones who don't. Letter writing, phone calls and best of all, complaints in person to the store all make a difference.

This store is a hardware one you say, so maybe they just don't know any better. That isn't to say that they are excused from proper fish care, but it's not as bad as a pet shop who knowingly keeps them in crap conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back