I was all excited about

StanTheBetta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I seen some fiddler crabs in petco that they were keeping with some mollies in a 10 gal tank at petco that I really liked. Not wanting to be too hasty I went home to get some information. Well after reading several sites I realized its not a good idea to keep a fiddler crab in an aquarium where it doesn't have some "land" so I'm kinda disapointed. Maybe I should go tell petco this =\ Maybe I'll try a ghost shrimp instead.

Well I was thinking of adding salt to my tank as I read it prefers brackish water as opposed to sea water. But seeing as how I don't have room to add anything for some "land" that the crab could come out of the water for air for I'm not going to be getting a fiddler crab. In petco the crabs were kept in 10 gal tanks with mollies with no land and at best I assume is slightly brackish water.

Fiddler crabs aren't marine, they live in fresh to brackish waters, and will need some sandy retreats that are difficult to provide in a fish aquarium. I would advise a species only tank, perhaps a 1/4 filled 3ft tank, with a sandy beach leading to water at least 3" deep with large flat stones to allow them to hide behind and stand on. The males like to sit on a height and wave their large claw to claim territory.

Ken

I don't know much about crabs, but at my lfs they had some crabs that they called mini crabs. They said they prefer fresh to brackish water, do not need land, and will eat almost anything! I got a male and I've had him since Christmas. He's awesome! You could try and find some in your area.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back