I Want An Axolotl!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I dont know much, but a person at my LFS told someone that if you leave them without water their gills close up and they become a lizard and can not be returned to water. I assumed it was B.S. When the owner was somewhere else i told the people not to buy it because he was making it up.

They can get 12", they need the same tank setup as goldfish, thats about all i know sorry

This information is not as BS as you think, however it's not about axolotls, it's about Waterdogs, if left with low or no water they become a Salamander.

So they still need water? The person said they turn into a lizard and can to into the water. Could i just put one in a tank with no water then?

NO!

They can change to survive out of water but it puts a great deal of stress on them which may well kill them.
Agreed,its a bad idea! Why would you want it to exit its larval form and change to a salamander,they look stupid without the gills!
You can inject chemicals into them to do this but its not fair on the axie!

i dont think 2 axolotls would be happy in a 2 foot tank...
but hen again your in aussie, a bit different there.
the tanks looking fine at moment. you will need to cycle it well, and do regular water tests to make sure.
with sand, live plants, hides, and a axolotl, it should be great, but i still personally think its too small, for now atleast, it will be fine.
keep us updated

No they cant! They can if you dont want any goldfish left or no gills on the axie...

I dont know much, but a person at my LFS told someone that if you leave them without water their gills close up and they become a lizard and can not be returned to water. I assumed it was B.S. When the owner was somewhere else i told the people not to buy it because he was making it up.

They can get 12", they need the same tank setup as goldfish, thats about all i know sorry

they dont become a lizard they become a type salamander.

Most reactions

trending

Back