I Want An Axolotl!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

J4MES

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys

you have probably guessed from the title i would like to keep an 'axie'. I have a 24"x12" cycling for fancy goldies but i may decide to go with an axolotl instead.

so what i need to know is

feeding
habitat i.e. should i include plants etc
attribute, are they fully aquatic

and anything else i should Know feel free to add that.

Thanks in advance

:good: :good:

I dont know much, but a person at my LFS told someone that if you leave them without water their gills close up and they become a lizard and can not be returned to water. I assumed it was B.S. When the owner was somewhere else i told the people not to buy it because he was making it up.

They can get 12", they need the same tank setup as goldfish, thats about all i know sorry

I dont know much, but a person at my LFS told someone that if you leave them without water their gills close up and they become a lizard and can not be returned to water. I assumed it was B.S. When the owner was somewhere else i told the people not to buy it because he was making it up.

They can get 12", they need the same tank setup as goldfish, thats about all i know sorry

No that is true, it does put them under a great deal of stress though.

"Terrestrial Axolotls
Axolotls do occasionally undergo metamorphosis to take on the terrestrial form. The conditions under which this would happen naturally is poorly understood. They can be induced using changes in water characteristics, or by supplementing with certain proportions of thyroid hormone. Of course the terrestrial form of the axolotl has a completely different set of care requirements. Trying to induce metamorphosis is not recommended, as this can place undue stress on the creature, and can significantly shorten its life span. "

Interesting critters, never seen them for sale in the UK

If they get to a foot long I would say a 2ftX1ft tank is much too small.

I know a breeder of these in Essex but i will not see them till the fish festival in Oct, that is where i got my one from.

Shops do sell them but their expensive, 6" is about £18-20 some locally to me in Salisbury.

I want to breed them some time as i got a large femlae but they need very cool water to do this.

he he i actually quite like the look of them, does anyone know of any breeders in the west yorkshire area?

i already have firebellys and i don't like toads. As i have said before, many websites say that this tank will be suitable for a single axolotl which is what i want :D

A semiaquatic terranium for a turtle. JAR. Just Add rocks. I once had a turtle. He ate wood lice, earthworms, June bugs, and feeder fish. He died of drowning...sad story :-( , don't wanna talk about it. But find a right tank for an axie and your in bussiness.

just because some websites say that tank size is ok, doesnt mean it is, evernyone here agress a 24inch by 12 inch tank is too small. some sites say gold fish are ok in bowls, but we all know thats wrong too. maybe do more reseach and find a larger number of websites about axolotl to get better info.
your firebelly newts are wildcaught too,so please dont get more and put them in a tank.
they need hides, sand is the best substrate. feed bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphina and pellets.
crickets arent nessary. putting the food on a small plate of somesort will help the axolotl find its food each night,
some plants are ok,axolotls seem to like plants and decorations. add a few tall thin plants at the back, and maybe some small bushy ones at front. floating plants are a good idea.
the tank temperature should be around 16 or 18 degrees Celsius. too cold and it results in slow moving with slower metabolism, while too higher temperatures cause stress, increased metabolism, and more eating.
the PH should be 6.5 to 8.
no clorine what so ever, they prefer hard water and shallow water, about 6-7 inches deep.
a mature filter is nessary. they are big waste producers and with shallow water, pollution builds up quickley, a good filter, with weak output is needed.
they can regrow limbs if one is damaged, but not a good idea to try to hurt it to see it regrow. it should be housed alone when young, and if a big enough tank is owned, can live with another axolotl when adult. no fish or invertabrates will live happily with the axolotl.

hmm well if they only get to 9" in home aquaria then my tank should be fine for one.

ye if anyone local to me breeds them or knows of any breeders that would be gr8. im in west yorks.

thanks for the info!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back