I tried live Mosquito larvae today.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I tried live mosquito larve today, My wife has a rain water collection bin that I saw mosquito larvae in today after we had a good rain. There was dirty water in the bin but the rain washed it clean and I collected the larvae and rinsed then in a container of tank water and then feed them to my tetra-they went nuts. How long will the larvae last when collected? Any suggestions would be great.

Mozzie larvae have 2 phases before turning into winged adults, the long straight larvae and the comma shaped larvae. They grow faster in warm water and can turn into comma larvae and then adults with wings after only 2 or 3 days in a tropical aquarium.

If you keep the larvae cool, it can take a week or so before they turn into adults.

You can keep mozzie larvae in a container of water for days or until they turn into adults. However, if you have lots of mozzie larvae and can't use them all before they turn into adults, then freeze the larvae in ice cube containers and use them later.

Thanks, @Colin_T I was surprised how fast they were gone, the tetra really love them. I will try the freeze method to save them. My wife may not like the idea of frozen bugs in the freezer ;) I was thinking of drying them out does that work or are there issues? There is a large number still in the bin.

I tried feeding them once to my old mosquito fish.

I fed them a couple, and forgot about the rest in the bucket. Let’s just say the next morning I had a lot of itchy bug bights, and a very mad mother. :rofl:

Last edited:
My wife was just complaining about all the mosquitoes out today, she really got bit up. I did a little too trying to collect the larvae, We have been getting plenty of rain again and it is like being in a jungle with all the bugs and plants growing fast. She gave me a dirty look when I told her I was collecting them. I think she was thinking "what another pet" :rofl:

I tried feeding them once to my old mosquito fish.

I fed them a couple, and forgot about the rest in the bucket. Let’s just say the next morning I had a lot of itchy bug bights, and a few mad mother. :rofl:
A few mad mothers? Lol

Thanks, @Colin_T I was surprised how fast they were gone, the tetra really love them. I will try the freeze method to save them. My wife may not like the idea of frozen bugs in the freezer ;) I was thinking of drying them out does that work or are there issues? There is a large number still in the bin.
Unless you can freeze dry them there is no benefit in drying them out. Just wash them under tap water and then put them in small plastic containers (ice cube containers work best). Freeze them solid and then put the frozen blocks into a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer.

If your freezer has an auto-defrost cycle (most new fridge/ freezers do), put the frozen larvae into an icecream bucket that is packed with ice and keep the lid on it. This will help insulate the frozen larvae and stop them thawing out and refreezing each night during the defrost cycle.

And all fish go nuts over mozzie larvae. It is one of the best foods for any small fish. They are also easy to get and are clean. If anyone has containers of water sitting under trees in their backyard, check them regularly for mozzie larvae and use them as food. You will be helping control mosquito populations in your area and giving your fish something that will get them all excited. :)

Unless you can freeze dry them there is no benefit in drying them out. Just wash them under tap water and then put them in small plastic containers (ice cube containers work best). Freeze them solid and then put the frozen blocks into a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer.

If your freezer has an auto-defrost cycle (most new fridge/ freezers do), put the frozen larvae into an icecream bucket that is packed with ice and keep the lid on it. This will help insulate the frozen larvae and stop them thawing out and refreezing each night during the defrost cycle.

And all fish go nuts over mozzie larvae. It is one of the best foods for any small fish. They are also easy to get and are clean. If anyone has containers of water sitting under trees in their backyard, check them regularly for mozzie larvae and use them as food. You will be helping control mosquito populations in your area and giving your fish something that will get them all excited. :)
Thanks again for the info :good:

Whenever you want as long as it's part of a varied diet.

I used to feed them to breeding fish every day. I would feed flake, then marine mix, then drop a heap of mozzie larvae in the tank. After a few days on mozzie larvae, 90% of the fish would start breeding.

Living in Tropical Country. I'd said i have unlimited Mosquito Larvae's. :rofl: and i feed my fish every 2 days mixed with flake's

You don't even have to live in a tropical country to have lots of mozzie larvae. Forty years ago we used to have mozzies in summer only. Over the years they have evolved to tolerate cooler conditions and these days we have zebra mozzies during spring, summer and early autumn. In autumn we also get the brown mozzie, which stays with us over winter and into early spring. Both bite :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back