I tried live Mosquito larvae today.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've been wanting to try feeding my fish mosquito larvae. Are they completely safe to put in the tank? I really don't want to introduce any sicknesses or anything.

As long as you get the mozzie larvae from clean water they are perfectly safe. You can put them in a fine mesh net and rinse them under tap water too. That makes them even cleaner.

I have them growing in containers of water outside. They also grow in the trays under my pot plants. I tip the trays out each week to stop them growing and let the ants eat them.

Thanks @AbbeysDad I now have two small plastic bins plus my wife's rain water container to catch larvae in. Just fed my tetra larvae after doing my water change today. I will have to try and film it, they really go nuts for this live food.

After feeding the larvae to my tetras I came back to the tank about 10-15 minutes later and they were still waiting around the spot where I fed them the larvae which is not the usual spot I fed them their other food. I guess larvae is a big hit :clap: :fish::good:

Attachments

• GEDC1411.JPG
    GEDC1411.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 101
  • GEDC1412.JPG
    GEDC1412.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 94
These I plan on freezing, with a net they are pretty easy to catch, I put them in clean water prior to freezing them. I already have 3 frozen meals for my tetras. I am committed but not that committed to taste test their food :rofl: My wife just rolls her eyes as I prepare a frozen meal on the kitchen counter.

Attachments

• GEDC1413.JPG
    GEDC1413.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 108
Thanks, @Colin_T I was surprised how fast they were gone, the tetra really love them. I will try the freeze method to save them. My wife may not like the idea of frozen bugs in the freezer ;) I was thinking of drying them out does that work or are there issues? There is a large number still in the bin.
She's lucky!

I had to tolerate a fridge full of live meal worms and crickets when my son had geckos. And the day the stick insects escaped and were creeping up the curtains in the living room still gives me nightmares . . .

These I plan on freezing, with a net they are pretty easy to catch, I put them in clean water prior to freezing them. I already have 3 frozen meals for my tetras. I am committed but not that committed to taste test their food :rofl: My wife just rolls her eyes as I prepare a frozen meal on the kitchen counter.
I think you should eat abit :rofl:

@Retired Viking Ah yes, remember, its Wingardium Leviosaaaa not leviosas. Be very careful with your wording!
Never could get those spells right :rofl: I have made 5 frozen meals so far and fed the tetra again today. They love it but I am quickly running out of larvae even though there seems to be plenty of nasty mosquitoes trying to dine on me.

Well I guess I over "fished" my mosquitoes larvae, hardley any in the bin this morning after all the rain we got the last few days the mosquitoes are out in force.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back