I think my cycle broke....

Welcome, as always.

Your nitrIte consuming bacteria are lagging behind, for some reason...I forget, did you raise the temp of the tank, and add a bubbler?

What is your current ph reading?

Welcome, as always.

Your nitrIte consuming bacteria are lagging behind, for some reason...I forget, did you raise the temp of the tank, and add a bubbler?

What is your current ph reading?
Yeah my nitrates have went a bit dormant. I think its cause I wasnt adding as much ammonia for a certain amount of time. I cant take a ph reading now, because I just added ammonia. But the PH of the tank yesterday when there was NO ammonia was 8. I lowered the temp so that the fish could survive when I got them. I'll have to lower it at some point and I'd rather have it lowered now and cause problems rather then when I have fish. And I used to have a sponge filter in there but I put it in the QT tank. That was my plan all along, to cycle the main tank with the sponge filter in there and then put it in the QT tank to have a speedy cycle in that tank

Yeah my nitrates have went a bit dormant. I think its cause I wasnt adding as much ammonia for a certain amount of time. I cant take a ph reading now, because I just added ammonia. But the PH of the tank yesterday when there was NO ammonia was 8. I lowered the temp so that the fish could survive when I got them. I'll have to lower it at some point and I'd rather have it lowered now and cause problems rather then when I have fish. And I used to have a sponge filter in there but I put it in the QT tank. That was my plan all along, to cycle the main tank with the sponge filter in there and then put it in the QT tank to have a speedy cycle in that tank
It would only take a day for the tank temp to cool and level out after the cycle is complete.

It would only take a day for the tank temp to cool and level out after the cycle is complete.
Its not that... If I turned the temp down when the cycle was "complete" and added fish... They may have died due to the temp change and the bacteria going into a shock. But if I turn it down while the tank doesnt have fish, I can deal with the issues that arise without worrying about fish

Its not that... If I turned the temp down when the cycle was "complete" and added fish... They may have died due to the temp change and the bacteria going into a shock. But if I turn it down while the tank doesnt have fish, I can deal with the issues that arise without worrying about fish
I'm confused...if you add fish when the temp is stable, they won't experience a temp change

The BB we grow in our tanks is very resilient, and can adjust to temp fluctuations with ease...I've never read of BB "shock"

If nitrite reads 5 ppm, it could be higher. Try mixing some tank water and tap water half and half and test that. It won't be very accurate but it will tell you if nitrite really is 5 or over 5 ppm.

When you do the big water change before getting fish, you turn the heater setting down then refill the tnak then keep an eye on the temperature to make sure it's what you want before buying fish. That's why I suggested doing the big water change the day before shopping, so you can the temp right before the fish go in. Heater settings rarely get the temp to the same number as the setting, so we need to adjust the setting to get the right temp and this can take a few hours.

I'm confused...if you add fish when the temp is stable, they won't experience a temp change

The BB we grow in our tanks is very resilient, and can adjust to temp fluctuations with ease...I've never read of BB "shock"
Nvm... You dont understand I guess... If you couldnt understand that I cant explain it any better

So, I was closlry examining the tank, playing hide and seek with my "buddy" and so him hiding on the back of a rock... I grabbed supplies, took off the lid and he was gone... So I then found a dead snail and took that out but then... Then... The heavens opened... This little bugger went inside a rock with the opening facing me... I said to myself "Oh yah... You're mine". So I grabbed tweezers and stabbed inside of that rock more than 10 times and it didnt come out... So I was like: "Dang, he's a stubborn son of a bug". And then out of no where I thought about the turkey baster and then insterted it into the rock a bit and started pumping. Then FFFT he got sucked right up with a broken back. Heh, no wonder why he couldnt get out.
You may ask: "Do you feel bad for killing it" and my answer would be: "Absolutely not"
1217211942.jpg

When are the fish coming? Just to make it clear, have you ever kept tropical fish? If so, what? I'm getting more fascinated by this project by the day.

When are the fish coming? Just to make it clear, have you ever kept tropical fish? If so, what? I'm getting more fascinated by this project by the day.
Yes, a betta... He didnt live longer than a month... But keep in mind, I did tons of research and thought I did it right... But turns out, I did a lot of things wrong

The fish should be in the tank after next weekend. Were low on money, and my parents promised they would get the fish, so were waiting till after the next payday. The first fish I'll be getting is the 3 peacock gudgeons.

I used the online color chart to identify it, and it isnt 5 but it isnt 2... So it has to be somewhere imbetween. Also, do you think later on (a few months after adding the main fish I want) I can do a sunset gourami?
1218211033.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back