I think my cycle broke....

I do mean the colors are out of a French controversial painting, seem to be strong and appealling, taking your total attention, and besides these results should be deadly for many fish, or I'm not right? (I really don't understand nothing sorry).

Rocky is doing a fishless cycle so there are no fish in the tank. He is waiting until ammonia and nitrite are both zero then he can buy fish.
idk if the nitrite will ever go down... The tank is able to process the ammonia and nitrite in a good time... So next week I am planning on getting fish. What is happening is, my tank processes the ammonia and 24hrs later all the ammonia is gone and there is 1ppm of nitrites... then the day after the nitrites are 0... I think the tank is ready for the first small addition of fish...

Rocky is doing a fishless cycle so there are no fish in the tank. He is waiting until ammonia and nitrite are both zero then he can buy fish.
do you think its safe to add SOME fish?

Probably.

When a tank can remove 3 ppm ammonia through to zero nitrite, the tank can cope with a sensibly, fully stocked load of fish. Since you want to get your fish a few at a time rather than all at once, provided the first fish are no more than half than the proposed stocking it should be OK.
But until 2 days before you go fish shopping I would continue with the 3 ppm doses. The day before you go shopping, regardless of whether there is a reading for nitrite or not, empty as much water as you can get out and refill the tank. Then go shopping next day.
Then test ammonia and nitrite every day until you are sure they are both staying at zero. And again every time you get more fish.

Probably.

When a tank can remove 3 ppm ammonia through to zero nitrite, the tank can cope with a sensibly, fully stocked load of fish. Since you want to get your fish a few at a time rather than all at once, provided the first fish are no more than half than the proposed stocking it should be OK.
But until 2 days before you go fish shopping I would continue with the 3 ppm doses. The day before you go shopping, regardless of whether there is a reading for nitrite or not, empty as much water as you can get out and refill the tank. Then go shopping next day.
Then test ammonia and nitrite every day until you are sure they are both staying at zero. And again every time you get more fish.
Good to know! I should be able to.special order for next week! Hopefully 😬

Probably.

One question on this though... Do you think adding the 3 peacock gudgeons is too much on the bio load straight away? I now want to add the first cayse of that damselfly nymph in my tank... He rarely comes out, and when he is out, I can never catch him... I'm thinking that the lambchop rasboras will be too small possibly, and get eaten. But if I add the peacocks, they will eat the nymph

Just how big is this nymph? Don't forget that the fish you buy will be juveniles not fully grown adults. I had peacock gudgeons a few years ago and watched while a red cherry shrimp stole food from right in front of the big male gudgeon while he just sat there and watched and made no attempt to eat the shrimp.

I know that you had plants attached to decor, do you have plants rooted in the substrate now? If they are all still attached to decor, I would try filling a bucket with warmish dechlorinated water and remove the decor (and attached plants) and give them a good swooshing in the bucket to try and dislodge the nymph(s)

Just how big is this nymph? Don't forget that the fish you buy will be juveniles not fully grown adults. I had peacock gudgeons a few years ago and watched while a red cherry shrimp stole food from right in front of the big male gudgeon while he just sat there and watched and made no attempt to eat the shrimp.

I know that you had plants attached to decor, do you have plants rooted in the substrate now? If they are all still attached to decor, I would try filling a bucket with warmish dechlorinated water and remove the decor (and attached plants) and give them a good swooshing in the bucket to try and dislodge the nymph(s)
I thank you for that idea but I'm not taking apart the setup that took me weeks to get to perfection... Or at least semi-perfection... The nymph is probably close to 1-1/2 inches

I thank you for that idea but I'm not taking apart the setup that took me weeks to get to perfection... Or at least semi-perfection... The nymph is probably close to 1-1/2 inches
The nymph is very skinny though... I'm pretty sure he eats the snails

Most reactions

Back