I think i may have fish TB

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dobber

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I want to cut a long story short by going back a few months to when i discovered an infestation of snails in my tank thanks to some moss I bought. Then a few months later I seen some of my fish had callamanus worms. I treated them according to the medicine and it worked fine, or so I thought. A few weeks later and I seen a tetra with fungus and some more fish had white poop. I treated for external bacteria internal bacteria and internal parasites. I wasnt taking any chances at all and wanted the tank clear of whatever diseases were in it. So along the way ive lost at least a fish a week if not 1 every 2weeks. Tonight I examined all the fish for a long time to see if there was any marks or strange behaviour going on. Now I'll admit I havent given that tank enough attention in the last month due to work being crazy and me being a bit off with so many disease and alot of fish dead. But I do at least 50% water change every week and it has a good external filter on it. I havent missed a water change or neglected maintanince just i lost the heart to look at them and examine them every day like I used to. But I have pics of 2 tetras and a guppy that are not in good shape and wondering if its fish tb or maybe tetra disease? the guppy may have prolapse or something. I would appreciate every bit of help and advice possible on this as I want these guys to survive I have some gorgeous baby guppy and molly in there along with some that have survived this far since I started my fish journey. Again thanks in advance and here are the pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 3...jpg
    3...jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 117
Hello, and welcome to the forum! :fish: :hi: :fish:

Picture #1, I cant tell what you where trying to point out. Picture #2,3, and 4, looks like your guppy has fin rot, an illness that is caused by poor water quality. And picture #5 looks like your neon tetra might have fin rot, fungus, or droopsy. Pretty much all of these illnesses are caused by poor water quality. What are your water parameters?

(Please consider entering the July POTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top foo the screen, Thanks!) :) :thanks:

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :fish: :hi: :fish:

Picture #1, I cant tell what you where trying to point out. Picture #2,3, and 4, looks like your guppy has fin rot, an illness that is caused by poor water quality. And picture #5 looks like your neon tetra might have fin rot, fungus, or droopsy. Pretty much all of these illnesses are caused by poor water quality. What are your water parameters?

(Please consider entering the July POTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top foo the screen, Thanks!) :) :thanks:

In the first pic the tetra has a very square face which wasn't originally like that it looks like it has some of its face gone. It's a bad pic. So water parameters are the usual 0 0 0 or close to 0 I've had no ph swings or ammonia spikes. I've a good external on it and do my weekly changes. Some previous fish that have died have displayed symptoms of dropsy and some if not all have had a sudden curve in spine. I was worried about the white bulge on the guppy anus but if its poor water I can do a full clean on the filter while saving some of the pads so it doesn't start to recycle.. do you think all the meds upset the water parameters and I missed it? I'd rather that than tb or another disease being honest

Do you have a test kit?

This is what your water parameters should be...

ph: 7.4-7.6

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

If these are your water parameters, then you should be fine. :)

Do you have a test kit?

This is what your water parameters should be...

ph: 7.4-7.6

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

If these are your water parameters, then you should be fine. :)

Ya the only difference is ph which mine is a bit lower generally its 7.2. Certain times of the year it goes down to 6.8 depending on the water. I've tested the tank a few times all results came back normal i use test strips and have a master kit aswell that I use but still cant figure out why they all are dying. I've alot of babies and some more guppies to put in that tank but don't want to with all the deaths. Would it be a problem since they had the worms that there insides are just failing cos I was late with treatment?

If I had a guess, its due to the worms. A very knowledge person named @Colin_T might be Able to help you better in this stage. Good luck! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Your fish do not have TB.

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the water (in numbers)?
The pH and GH can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

------------------------
You shouldn't treat fish or any animal unless you know what the problem is. Anything that treats bacterial infections will also knock the filter bacteria around.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you get some spare time.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

------------------------
Part of the guppy's intestine is sticking out of its butt. This normally goes back in after 24 hours but sometimes it doesn't. A bit of plant matter in its diet can help. Fasting the fish for a couple of days sometimes helps. If the above doesn't help, you can carefully catch the fish and run your finger very gently along its belly a couple of times. This can sometimes get the intestine to go back in but sometimes it doesn't. Be very careful doing this because you can injure the fish if you push the intestine too hard.

------------------------
The neon tetra looks like it has been attacked by something. How long has it looked like that?
If there is nothing big in the tank that tried to eat the neon tetra, then it probably has a bacterial and or protozoan infection.

A broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacterial, fungal and protozoan infections should clear it up assuming the fish doesn't die first.

------------------------
Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.
1) internal bacterial infection causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

2) internal protozoan infection cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

The Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.
Anyway, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

3) intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies are regularly infected with gill flukes and intestinal worms. If the fish are still eating well, then worms is the most likely cause.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If these are not available, look for Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

My amoninia nitrite and nitrate are 0 with ph 7.2 and gh is 8. I gravel clean with the 50% water change every week sometimes I do more than 50.. the filter is cleaned in aquarium water from the tank every 3 weeks or so.

I treated that tetra for fungus when it started to show signs of it a few months back just before I noticed the worms. He came back to good health and the last 3 weeks he looks like this. I've fully treated for worms, parasite and bacterial infections. Been a long disaster since the worms popped up. I'm delighted to know theres no tb that's excellent news. The conditions they display are like swimming head up but not being able to hold themself up, sitting at the bottom, lethargic, eating well and I've seen white poop on quiet a few recently.

You are a book of knowledge. Just a side not I've used levamisole and praziquantal due the treatment but not together. I've no longer any callamanus worms but maybe it's time for more frequent water changes to help the recovery of the rest of the fish?

How long did you treat them with the Levamisole and Praziquantel?
If you are treating intestinal worms, you need to treat them once a week for 3-4 weeks. If you don't do the 2nd and 3rd treatments, the worm eggs inside the fish hatch and the fish remain infected.

------------------
If the neon tetra has looked like that for a couple of weeks, it is most likely a protozoan infection. A bacterial infection would have killed the fish by now.

Use a broad spectrum medication that treats fungus, bacteria and protozoan infections.

For the worms it was treated up to a period of 5 weeks. Initial dose then 2 weeks later and then 2 weeks again. The praziquantal was a 3 day treatment or 5 day I cant remember. I get most of my meds from UK as I live in Ireland and we don't have alot. I will get a broad spectrum for them and see how that goes I'll do a fairly big clean up on the tank tonight aswell

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back