I Think I Have Come Up With My Tank Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
STD ...fortunatly i have a big tank to accomidate a foxface.

Lynden i have also been looking at triggers for a reef, now since you seem to be the trigger expert around here, what would you say about a bluethroat, i have read they dont bother corals ?

I am sure that Lynden will love this!

Even though the Achillies tang is almost always cited as being a 'difficult' fish to keep (another non-descript blanket statement), this does not mean that it is absolutely certain to die on you. In fact, the reason it is labeled 'difficult' is because it is more prone to some ailments such as Lateral Line Erosion and Ich --- which means if you can prevent them, you should have little problems since IME, they are more than willing to eat, generally peaceful, and reef safe. Just be sure that your tank provides a large amount of open swimming space while at hte same time offering some good hiding places, sufficient foodstuff for the fish to graze upon throughout the day, and that any other fish you have are not going to bully it. As far as the price goes, after checking three online LFS, I am sure they are all out of their minds....I can find medium-sized Achillies Tangs for about 30 bucks in at least two LFS in my area.

And I am sure Lynden will hate this!

Regardless of what they may or may not eat, I urge you to be careful with the triggerfish in a reef idea. Over the past couple years of being involved on forums and from what I have read/heard in other areas, the only 'reef-safe' trigger I that I have ever observed being suggested on a regular basis is the blue throat (blue jaw) trigger. This is becuase they often dine on a wide array of custaceans and invertebrates and can be unpredictable with their aggression. They may also snack upon smaller fish from time to time, which is also something to consider. Don't get me wrong, this is not to imply that it cannot be done....only that it should be approached with a good amount of caution.

Even though the Achillies tang is almost always cited as being a 'difficult' fish to keep (another non-descript blanket statement), this does not mean that it is absolutely certain to die on you. In fact, the reason it is labeled 'difficult' is because it is more prone to some ailments such as Lateral Line Erosion and Ich --- which means if you can prevent them, you should have little problems
Coming from someone who tried to get a list on what fish eat in reef aquaria rewritten partially because it didn't mention how hard some fish were to keep.

See the problem is that it is difficult to prevent these ailments without a huge tank and lots of flow. These tangs are one of the few that actually do come from the surge zone of the reef; they need high flow and lots of room. A one hundred gallon tank just isn't big enough in my opinion; and I find it very interesting that you once again chose to respond to and attempt to refute a post of mine that was, essentially, correct.

This is becuase they often dine on a wide array of custaceans and invertebrates
"Pelagic" triggers do not. The belief that they do is a blanket statement and HIGHLY ignorant. They are planktonivores just like firefish or anthias, but the Niger trigger may consume sponges. I do agree and have stated before that tiny fish may be seen as a meal by a full grown adult, and while most of them rank among clownfish as far as docility does there is such thing as a "bad egg".

Let me ask you: have you had any experience with these fish? Again, perhaps you could attempt to explain why my trigger, puffer and morays "magically" leave all my other animals alone, despite the fact that liveaquaria tells me they will all be killed? Can you also explain why my old pinktailed and niger triggers "magically" left everything alone in their tank (with the exception of each other; little bastards), even though they are given a similarly bad verdict on liveaquaria?

what would you say about a bluethroat, i have read they dont bother corals ?
No commonly offered trigger bothers corals, so I would say you're fine in this regard. Most of the other fish suggested would make an equally good choice.

i agree with lynden on the achilles, just a pain really, i admit i ahve no eperiance with them mainly because ive not seen many shipped in and survive, but everywhere ive read say high surge zones and very susceptable to illness.

as for bluethroats i think of it as the invisable fish ive seen it in tanks with small peaceful fish and it didnt bother them, and in an agressive tank with picasso and a very very evil undualate yet the undulate bothered and attacked everything but the bluethroay my opinion is that its invisable :p

get an orange shoulder tang or a caribian (sp??) blue tang.

Orange shoulder tangs get pretty big, but they probably stay small enough to be included in the original poster's tank. Would be the "show fish" if it was included.

and would i be right in saying its more peaceful then other acanthurus because its a mimic tang ... ?

also you get to see it colour morph which is cool, il be getting one for my 415 litre when i bother to get it out my garage and set it up :D

I guess one could call those a mimic tang even though I don't think they are the species more commonly referred to as "mimic tangs" Acanthurus tristus and A. pyroferus, rather being A. olivaceus. They're aggression is highly variable, some are totally docile, others are as bad as lined tangs.

Coming from someone who tried to get a list on what fish eat in reef aquaria rewritten partially because it didn't mention how hard some fish were to keep.

On the contrary my friend! I was trying to get you to stop saying that the fish were reef safe based upon singular criterion and in the end, you agreed. And andywg is still not right by saying that ribbon eels are easy to keep, but that is another topic that you were not involved in.

See the problem is that it is difficult to prevent these ailments without a huge tank and lots of flow. These tangs are one of the few that actually do come from the surge zone of the reef; they need high flow and lots of room. A one hundred gallon tank just isn't big enough in my opinion; and I find it very interesting that you once again chose to respond to and attempt to refute a post of mine that was, essentially, correct.

Anecdotal Evidence:
PIC_0211.jpg

^Achilles tang in my 125 gal reef tank for two months without problems (until my catastrophe). Precautions:
UV sterilizer
Garlic Supplements
Vitamin C Supplements
Increased Water changes
Increased emphasis on Gas exchange (via my sump...but many ways to do so otherwise)
Grounding Probe

You are not completely correct...open your mind man! So narrow right now

Again, perhaps you could attempt to explain why my trigger, puffer and morays "magically" leave all my other animals alone, despite the fact that liveaquaria tells me they will all be killed?

Easy! Because they are all small, juveniles and/or are starting to feel the effects of stunting from being in your 33 gallon reef tank....or you are either lucky or lying.

Question: Are you saying that if I buy all of those fish and put them in my tank I will absolutely not have any problems? Don't give me the bad egg thing here because you are not going to speak in generalizations and then hold my to specifics.

Just like Mr. Schiemer points out, I said it can be done with caution, meaning I am not totally disagreeing with you....only pointing out another instance of you not providing all of the information.

planktonivores just like firefish or anthias, but the Niger trigger may consume sponges

Do they only eat plankton? >>>Definition of Planktonivore<<<

I do agree and have stated before that tiny fish may be seen as a meal

Are fish plankton?

[url="http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5839" said:
fishbase.org[/url]]Territorial. Feed on algae, detritus, mollusks, crustaceans, worms, sea urchins, fishes, corals, tunicates, forams, and eggs

Isn't it odd that your beloved fishbase completely disagrees with you on the exact same trigger you have (humu-humu, picasso, black-bar, lagoon, Thinecanthus Aculeatus)

No commonly offered trigger bothers corals, so I would say you're fine in this regard. Most of the other fish suggested would make an equally good choice.

...except for your trigger? Or is fishbase.org not the resource you told me it is?

The Clown Trigger....commonly found, right?
[url="http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2300" said:
fishbase.org[/url]]
Diet consists of sea urchins, crabs and other crustaceans, mollusks, and tunicates
Are those items all plankton?

The undulate Trigger (orange-stripe), another common trigger:
[url="http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=6025" said:
fishbase.org[/url]]Feeds on a variety of benthic organisms such as algae, echinoderms, fishes, mollusks, tunicates, sponges, and hydrozoans.
Oh, but WAIT!!!! If you click on the 'food items' link near the bottom of that fishbase profile, you can see that both juveniles and adults eat HARD CORALS. Here is a shortcut so you can see yourself: Food Items

Perhaps you need your own website Lynden since apparently fishbase.org does not agree with you on the fact that every commonly found trigger isn't a risk to corals.

^Achilles tang in my 125 gal reef tank for two months without problems (until my catastrophe). Precautions:
Wahoo, one fish for two months, your opinion is truly undisputable.

How are you different from what you accused Andy to be, someone that recommends a normally difficult or needy fish to the general public on the grounds of one exception?
You are not completely correct...open your mind man! So narrow right now
I... never said I was?

Easy! Because they are all small, juveniles and/or are starting to feel the effects of stunting from being in your 33 gallon reef tank....or you are either lucky or lying.
Lucky or small size, I'd say. Still, a far cry from "it'll eat everything in your reef".

By the way, aquarium fish do not stunt. This is another beginner misconception. Thank you for proving to me once again how ignorant you are regarding so many issues.

Are you saying that if I buy all of those fish and put them in my tank I will absolutely not have any problems?
No.

Just like Mr. Schiemer points out, I said it can be done with caution, meaning I am not totally disagreeing with you....only pointing out another instance of you not providing all of the information
First of all, Greg Schiemer points out that Melichthys and Xanthichthys make great reef fish.

There is a sharp distinction between benthic feeding triggers, that almost certainly will cause some problems in a full reef, and planktonivorous triggers, that almost never do.

Do they only eat plankton?
Got me there; niger triggers eat sponges as well.

Are fish plankton?
Well the ones that inhabit the water column certainly aren't zoobenthos.

Isn't it odd that your beloved fishbase completely disagrees with you on the exact same trigger you have (humu-humu, picasso, black-bar, lagoon, Thinecanthus Aculeatus)
It... doesn't? I never once stated that Rhinecanthus are reef-safe.

Perhaps you need your own website Lynden since apparently fishbase.org does not agree with you on the fact that every commonly found trigger isn't a risk to corals.
Oops, you got me there. :) Forgot about those for a second.

Do realize that I never once implied that every trigger is planktonivorous... but there are many that are.

haha wondering if this has become a topic for "Who can keep a Achilles longest?" rather than a topic for stocking tanks, lol

stupid me shoulda never brought up an achille's tang, lol :blush:

haha wondering if this has become a topic for "Who can keep a Achilles longest?" rather than a topic for stocking tanks, lol

It's not your fault at all... once again, I wholeheartedly apologize. :blush:

Wahoo, one fish for two months, your opinion is truly undisputable.

Ha ha, you know what happened to me a couple weeks ago

Still, a far cry from "it'll eat everything in your reef".

Never said that was even the entire problem....for the 1,000,000th time

By the way, aquarium fish do not stunt. This is another beginner misconception

That is so not true! Any and every single organism on earth stops growing when it dies!!! :rolleyes:

On a more serious note...You are right, the stress and/or secondary issues that stem being kept in too small of a tank are usually the cause of death.

Don't tell me that you are suggesting that I should follow your path and stock the same fish in my 30 gallon tank? Can I keep a trigger in a 10 gallon tank for full duration of its potential lifespan?

There is a sharp distinction between benthic feeding triggers, that almost certainly will cause some problems in a full reef, and planktonivorous triggers, that almost never do.

Hmmm, shoot. I thought you said that all commonly available triggers are not going to eat corals. My mistake?

It... doesn't? I never once stated that Rhinecanthus are reef-safe.

Dang! I although thought you implied that when you said that any common trigger will not eat corals. Perhaps I dreampt that up. No wait, found it:

No commonly offered trigger bothers corals, so I would say you're fine in this regard

I will give you the fact that you don't directly state that all are reef safe then, but it seems as though you were offering this advice in a manner which suggests we can keep them in a reef....and didn't list any exceptions that I noticed anyways (until now)

How are you different from what you accused Andy to be, someone that recommends a normally difficult or needy fish to the general public on the grounds of one exception?

The difference is that we have quite a bit more control over keeping our fish health - even if it does require some additional work on our part - where as we have little to no control over if our fish/eel will eat or what it is they will eat. The little factoid that Andy forgot to mention is that yea, he can get his ribbon eel to eat live foods, but most of us could only supply freshwater feeders which cannot sustain a saltwater fish forever. And you can look back, he said his is a rare eel (because it eats) and still wont suggest them to anyone.

I also apologize and agree, it is all my fault for heading in that direction, but I am trying to stick to stocking issues and such.

No commonly offered trigger eats large amounts of corals, and I acknowledged that I forgot about the triggers that eat a small amount.

This is starting to cross the line from "pointless" to "stupid hilarity". ;) Truce?

lol no worries lynden, i just found it funny how this thread became

a truce between u too does seem fair?
so wat fish has been decided on, lol

I have a beautiful Powder Blue....he did indeed get ick...however I got him through it by feeding lots and installing a UV sterilizer...if you can put one of these on a tank you should. This fish is amazing but tends to be aggressive towards other tangs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back