I Think I Have Come Up With My Tank Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tomstanks... i do fortunatly have a uv steriliser :hyper: .
right here goes
6 green chromis
4 yellow tangs
some sort of fairy wrasse
6 line wrasse
2 common clowns
mandarin
somesort of blenny or gobie
and maybe... just maybe a powder blue tang

over stocked...under stocked ???

Sounds good. Nicely done actually... you will find that as they grow the variable sizes will be pleasing to look at. Though I still can't imagine how you can possibly resist the pinktailed trigger... :drool: I would leave out the powder blue surgeon, though you could maybe add it if it was much smaller than the yellows, as Acanthurus leucosternon is a highly aggressive fish.

If you are into bright colours there are two more things I would do if I were you, and these are switching the ocellarises with percs and switching the green chromis for blue chromis, though both make good additions.

Lynden... you and your triggers lol, well i was going to put pinktailed down but after talking to my mum and dad and sister (not that she cares lol ) no of them like the look of triggers, apart from my dad who like picassos.

So how about ditching the powder blue, and add another yellow tang and 2 more green chromis? I think the greens look better than blues too. :)

And as for the clowns, i put commons because they are more hardy but i think by the time i have all my chromis in, which will be the first fish, i might have a bit more experience and get percuals. And the tank is big which helps i guess.

so glad your pleased with the stocking though !! :hyper:

So how about ditching the powder blue, and add another yellow tang and 2 more green chromis?
Instead of a yellow, why not a mimic or similar small species? Could provide variety, but both will probably work.

And as for the clowns, i put commons because they are more hardy but i think by the time i have all my chromis in, which will be the first fish, i might have a bit more experience and get percuals. And the tank is big which helps i guess.
Remember that in your sized tank you could have more than one pair, or even a group of clowns. They often were kept this way in "the olden days" of reefkeeping.

I was thinking about a group of clowns earlier today actually. If i kept say 4-5 would i have to introduce them all at once like i have to with tangs, or can i add them one at a time? same question for the green chromis too.

As for the mimic tang, im not to keen on the adult colouration so what other tang or eveng a peacefull angel of some sort would you recomend ?

What about a foxface rabbitfish or maybe a bicolour cherub angels or flame angel... one thing i do like that i have seen at a marine store once was a red faced batfish ( platax pinnatus )

Also could someone help with my earlier question about introducing the clowns and chromis'

Majestic angel + yellow tangs = majestic angel with hundreds of puncture wounds. It is not clear why this happens but it seems to.

In addition, a one hundred gallon tank is under the minimum I would recommend for a Pomacanthus. Smaller large angels could work.

i somewhere that tangs may attack them but i always thought it would be the more aggresive clown tangs and regals that did it, how strange for a big fish you would think it would hold its own, i thought it was a holacanthus for some reason as well woops! majestucs are one of the smaller pomacanthus then.

foxface i think eat corals. well i know of someone who had to rip aapart a 6' system to get one out after it munched things.

cherub or potters angels are nice :)

as for clowns its probably best to introduce them together and chromis, though you could in theory add to them later on alot of people have done this.

Majestic angel + yellow tangs = majestic angel with hundreds of puncture wounds. It is not clear why this happens but it seems to.

In addition, a one hundred gallon tank is under the minimum I would recommend for a Pomacanthus. Smaller large angels could work.

i somewhere that tangs may attack them but i always thought it would be the more aggresive clown tangs and regals that did it, how strange for a big fish you would think it would hold its own, i thought it was a holacanthus for some reason as well woops! majestucs are one of the smaller pomacanthus then.

foxface i think eat corals. well i know of someone who had to rip aapart a 6' system to get one out after it munched things.

cherub or potters angels are nice :)

as for clowns its probably best to introduce them together and chromis, though you could in theory add to them later on alot of people have done this.
Most foxfaces are fine in reefs

In most books i have read, it says foxfaces are fine with reefs, i guess if its not with mine, i would have so put it into the sump untill i found a home.

shibby... when you said ' you could in theory add to them later on alot of people have done this' did you mean add soem chromis, then add some more ?

with regards to the foxface i can only tell you what ive heard with peoples experiances, it just takes one to be a trouble and youve got a long time spent catching it.

and yes i should think you could add some chromis and add some later its probably best to add them at once, there not majorly big or expensive and hardy enough so should be okay to add in a big enough group i would think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back