I Think I Have Come Up With My Tank Stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
The tank is 460 litres and will eventually have corals in it and this is what i am hoping the tank will eventually be stocked with, i might make some changes along the way but it will basically stay the same. Here goes.
-4 green chromis
-2 percula or ocellaris clownfish
-1 yellow tang
-1 regal tang
-1 powder blue tang
-1 sixline wrasse
-1 firefish
-1 green mandarin
and some sort of blenny or gobie, not sure what speices yet though.
a variety of shrimp, hermit crabs and snails.

so tell me...what do you guys think, overstocked,understocked, will any agression problems arise ?
thanks

My biggest concern is the selection of the powder blue tang... You know these are ich-magnets which are very difficult to keep in an aquarium? You also know they require multiple feedings per day?

also wouldnt a regal bully a powder blue, there different families i think but still they look similar....

I didnt realise that powder blues were so sucseptible to marine ich as that, or that they needed feeding so often. There is no doubt that i will get one one day as they are my favorite fish, i love the colour blue you see lol. So say i dont get the powder blue, what fish would YOU get instead, one that will get along with the fish that are already in the stocklist, maybe somesort of angelfish, one that dosnt eat coral ?

Lynden... im not very keen on tiggerfish and i wouldnt want to risk my corals, shrimps or smaller fish with them.
Anyone else ?

bluethroat or pinktails are lovely really.

if it has a lid im going to suggest my usuals!

carpenters or filamented flasher wrasse
labouts fairy wrasse
leapord wrasse - can be a bit tricky
pygmy or possum wrasse

pair of bangai cardinals perhaps

kole tang

midas blenny

I wouldnt have the Regal or the Power blue - both whitespot magnets

Regals grow vey fast and need loads of swimming space

If you do go for the powder blue intruduce it last as they can be very aggressive to new addittions - the one I had killed a couple of its tankmates :(

Why not go for 3 yellows

Also don't intruduce the mandarin untill your tank has been up for a year

Lynden... im not very keen on tiggerfish and i wouldnt want to risk my corals, shrimps or smaller fish with them.
Anyone else ?
Really pinktailed triggers are amoung the most gentle and docile of all marine fish but as they grow large they could perhaps start to see tiny fish or shrimp as food. They won't eat any other types of corals or inverts though, so keep them in mind. There isn't exactly a risk involved with these fish. For more stocking ideas you could always click the link in my 'sig'...

Lyden... i always thought of triggers as big, nasty, fish and invert eat...well...fish. I do think they look cool though so i will look into a pinktail.

STD... i know that mandarins need a well esablished tank so that will be a fish for the future. Also when youb said about 3 yellow tangs, i thought yellows needed to either be kept as a single fish or in groups of 6+ ???

Shibby... unfortunatly the tank isnt going to be coverd...i dont think so anyway... if it is i will look into some fo the fush you have said because i have seen some of those wrasse and i think they are really great looking fish.

What about a royal gramma ??

i always thought of triggers as big, nasty, fish and invert eat...well...fish. I do think they look cool though so i will look into a pinktail.
Triggers are actually very intelligent, and some are quite docile, certainly more so than a royal gramma. Which would also work.

what you really want is a crosshatch trigger :rolleyes:

royal grammas are nice little fish too! yellow tang, regal, royal gramma, clown fish looking like a film ive seen :p

if you can put eggcrate or netting over the top of the tank, wrasses for the win :D

Lyden... i always thought of triggers as big, nasty, fish and invert eat...well...fish. I do think they look cool though so i will look into a pinktail.

STD... i know that mandarins need a well esablished tank so that will be a fish for the future. Also when youb said about 3 yellow tangs, i thought yellows needed to either be kept as a single fish or in groups of 6+ ???

Shibby... unfortunatly the tank isnt going to be coverd...i dont think so anyway... if it is i will look into some fo the fush you have said because i have seen some of those wrasse and i think they are really great looking fish.

What about a royal gramma ??

I think 3 YT wil work well if intriduced together

Royal Grammas are fab - If I were you I'd get a group of them - If I was starting again I'd go for a group of 6 grammas - used to have a group of 3 and they got on very well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back