I Need Help With Sands

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ramtastic

Reaction score
I was told on another forum that I could use black blaster sand as a cheap alternative to aquarium sand and that it would not mess with my water chemistry they all seem to have great luck with it. Well in my tank in my water(well water which is very soft with low ph) it raises my ph up to 7.6 a few hours after putting the sand in. Everyone insisted it must be something else so I took the sand out of my tank, washed it hard core, and placed it in a cup with fresh water, a day later the ph in the cup went from 6 to 7.6. It IS the sand. So after we figure that out they say that its the sand reacting with my water.

What black or natural looking sand can I use that wont fudge with my water? I have soft water fish(german blue rams and angels) and I dont want to "fix" my water to work with the sand. I want sand that will not change my water chemistry at all. I just ordered Tahitian Moon sand from my local fish store only to find out from a fish friend that it is calcium and iron based much like my blaster sand and will also more than likely change my ph and what not. I also want to add eco complete for my plants but am scared that will mess with my water too. Help meh!

I was told on another forum that I could use black blaster sand as a cheap alternative to aquarium sand and that it would not mess with my water chemistry they all seem to have great luck with it. Well in my tank in my water(well water which is very soft with low ph) it raises my ph up to 7.6 a few hours after putting the sand in. Everyone insisted it must be something else so I took the sand out of my tank, washed it hard core, and placed it in a cup with fresh water, a day later the ph in the cup went from 6 to 7.6. It IS the sand. So after we figure that out they say that its the sand reacting with my water.

What black or natural looking sand can I use that wont fudge with my water? I have soft water fish(german blue rams and angels) and I dont want to "fix" my water to work with the sand. I want sand that will not change my water chemistry at all. I just ordered Tahitian Moon sand from my local fish store only to find out from a fish friend that it is calcium and iron based much like my blaster sand and will also more than likely change my ph and what not. I also want to add eco complete for my plants but am scared that will mess with my water too. Help meh!

Stay in the UK? Argos Play sand £2.99 per 15kgs. WILL NOT, effect anything so long as you give it a good wash.

Im in the US. Was thinking about using Petco black sand but im not sure about it and Eco complete too for my plants. I dunno if that would mess with my water too or not. Is that play sand black? I want to sick with black I think. Most of my fish are a light blue so I think think the black would make them look really good.

im in the us and in my tank with GBR and now 2 angels i use carib sea loramax it is a gravel, likelike substance for plants and it didn't mess up my ph, but that could be because i have a good amount of driftwood in it

Most reactions

Back