I need help with finding good tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TylerJackson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 55-60 gallon tank, Iā€™m looking to get another mate(s) for the tank. I have 10 tiger barbs about an inch or less in length and 2 3 inch Pictus catfish. All are doing well together. I have two pleco as well.

What type of pleco are they? If they are common pleco those guys can get pretty huge and very messy so will limit your other stock drastically.

What are the dimensions of your aquarium LxHxW?
Also what is your water's PH and GH?

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

-----------------------
Pictus catfish grow to 8+ inches and eat small fish. They also need to be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more), and require a rather large aquarium.

tiger barbs need to be kept in groups of 10 or more and renown fin nippers so don't keep them with slow moving fish or fish with long fins.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back