I Know I'm In The Wrong Section...

missigfunk

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aussieland!
This is what I posted in the other thread....



Hey guys!

I have a 3ft tropical tank, but I want a smaller fresh/coldwater desk tank.

I LOVE colour!!!

I'm going to be a little picky, but that's how much I love my fish :rolleyes:

I would prefer a type that you can tell the sex. I just got a really nice tank and it's all PINK



I've been searching on the net, but I can't seem to find the info I'm after. So I decided to come to the pros :D



BTW I'm from Australia and our aquariums don't seem to stock much variety


Oh and also....

I've heard you CAN keep mollies and that in coldwater, but it's not the best? I wouldn't want to put any fish in their that won't like it.
 
ANYONE?

I don't want to have to do a trial and error.

You all probably think it's a silly question, but I can't find the info I want on the internet...Why else would I post here?
 
What size tank?


If it is a 10g and the water is soft... you could add a few plants and have a german blue ram pair. They would be beautiful with pink surrounding, and the green of a few plants would really make it pop if you are into color. :good:
 
Oooo

I just google searched them and they look really nice :D

I don't think I've ever seen them at a LFS, although I've never really looked for them lol



Are they REALLY 100% suitable for coldwater tanks?

I won't have a heater or anything in there. It's just going to be a desk type tank.
 
Oh yeah...

And I don't like goldfish! Not even the fancy ones lol.

That was my other threads name :blink:
 
As said above what is the size or volume of the tank?

There are a range of subtropical species that will survive coldwater, (Rams aren't one) however not many are overly colourful.
e.g. leopard danios, zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, Rosy minnows,

If your after a colourful fish however that is easy to sex (and breed) then go for platys,
 
have you looked at empire gudgeons, im pretty sure they will tollerate colder water, they colour up nicely when breeding and best of all they are Australian!
 
I just got some very colorful cloud mountain minnows: red horizontal stripes like a large galaxy.

But really, folks need to know what size the tank is,if you plan to plant it, what filtration, what is your ambient temperature?

Pepper Corys and pandas don't mind it chilly.
 
I'm not sure exactly how big it is.

It's just a medium sized plastic tank?

The pump I have is just a small Air-Tech one, and yes I will plant it.

The tank isn't set up yet. I don't want to set it up until I decide 100% what I want :S
 
Do you have the dimensions of the tank?

What about a beta? I believe they can live at room temperature comfortably. Also, you're in Australia so does that mean your room temp is quite warm or will this be in an air conditioned room? If your room temp is already quite high then that has possibilities.
 
The dimensions of the tank would help :rolleyes:
 
Well it's coming up to winter soon and it's starting to get cold.

We have our ducted heater on almost everyday already!

The tank is roughly 30ltrs, maybe a bit smaller? It's not overly big.
 
Thats pretty small...What is stopping you from buying a heater? There aren't very many colorful cold water species, especially ones that would fit into a tank like that.

EDIT: Oh, and do you know about cycling? If you haven't gotten your tank cycled, I suggest you start now. Any type of fish, cold or fresh water need a cycled tank, or else they will die.
 
What is cycling?

I've had tanks for YEARS, but now I'm starting to get into the bigger guns and it's all very :S
 
OK so you don't want goldfish so that rules out commonly available coldwater fish (you say you have limited selection options).

Why don't you just get a heater??? It's cheap and your options will multiply a million fold.....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top