I just can’t stop them

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I need advice on how to stop my electric blue acara from breeding , it was funny at first now it’s becoming a real issue , at first they had eggs then fry and two days later gone they ate them this happens about 6 times or so every 14 days . After changing my gravel to sand I knocked there pattern thought they had stopped but nearly a month after changing they have more fry so agin I leave them being the cannibal they are 4 days later ... my whole tank is living in about 1 ft of my 5ft tank looks ridiculous and I know why . Mommy and daddy have stopped eating there kids and now have decided they will Bruce Lee the life out of anything that goes by them , they have killed a Colombian tetra and badly hurt one of my geophagus . I need to stop them breeding without effect my other fish so a no go on temp .. any advice ??

You need another tank, put the two lovers in a tank of their own. Let them do their thing in peace.
Iv been toying with the idea but I keep talking myself out of it , my logic is two electric blue acara breeding are going to need atleast 150l in long tank which would have to be put in a pantry or cupboard as the house just don’t hve t space , which isn’t all that bad but the female of the pair is my tank queen the day she dies il take a break from the hobby for a while I think and rehome everything else not anytime soon as she’s about 1 , iv thought about stripping her of the fry each time but can’t bring myself to do it , iv thought about getting a spacer bit my tank is stocked to the whole 500l and would probably cause mayhem , I think your suggestion is the only practical one just can’t imagine putting my baby in a pantry lol

Iv been toying with the idea but I keep talking myself out of it , my logic is two electric blue acara breeding are going to need atleast 150l in long tank which would have to be put in a pantry or cupboard as the house just don’t hve t space , which isn’t all that bad but the female of the pair is my tank queen the day she dies il take a break from the hobby for a while I think and rehome everything else not anytime soon as she’s about 1 , iv thought about stripping her of the fry each time but can’t bring myself to do it , iv thought about getting a spacer bit my tank is stocked to the whole 500l and would probably cause mayhem , I think your suggestion is the only practical one just can’t imagine putting my baby in a pantry lol
Leave them in the tank they love and move or rehome everything else. One of the most satisfying tanks I ever had was a hire tank that had Severums in it breeding and raising their young check out my thread about Severums, " Severums having fun " they were really cool.

You need another tank, put the two lovers in a tank of their own. Let them do their thing in peace.
Iv been toying with the idea but I keep talking myself out of it , my logic is two electric blue acara breeding are going to need atleast 150l in long tank which would have to be put in a pantry or cupboard as the house just don’t hve t space , which isn’t all that bad but the female of the pair is my tank queen the day she dies il take a break from the hobby for a while I think and rehome everything else not anytime soon as she’s about 1 , iv thought about stripping her of the fry each time but can’t bring myself to do it , iv thought about getting a spacer bit my tank is stocked to the whole 500[
Leave them in the tank they love and move or rehome everything else. One of the most satisfying tanks I ever had was a hire tank that had Severums in it breeding and raising their young check out my thread about Severums, " Severums having fun " they were really cool.
il be sure to check out the thread mate : just disheartening as iv spent the last 6 months finding a nice balance in the tank and back to the start again lol

... Mommy and daddy have stopped eating there kids and now have decided they will Bruce Lee the life out of anything that goes by them , they have killed a Colombian tetra and badly hurt one of my geophagus . I need to stop them breeding without effect my other fish so a no go on temp .. any advice ??
LOL, love the wording :)

Reducing the temperature can reduce their urges, as can reducing the food. Perhaps separate the adults when they are no longer looking after the fry.
Give them their own tank.

Apart from that there's not much you can do. Once cichlids pair off and are happy, they breed.

LOL, love the wording :)

Reducing the temperature can reduce their urges, as can reducing the food. Perhaps separate the adults when they are no longer looking after the fry.
Give them their own tank.

Apart from that there's not much you can do. Once cichlids pair off and are happy, they breed.
What temperature is safe to go down to I’m stocking electric blue acara, geophagus, Colombian tetra , bronze Cory and a sailfin pleco , iv always kept at a firm 27c , Iv tried to reduce feeding as I do over feed really my fish are portly to be nice lol just I have aggressive feeder like my eba and tetra and passive feeder like ther corys and pleco so I mainly over feed to ensure some food reaches the bottom

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back