What's new

I Can't Make Up My Mind

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
The BN's I bought were 3.5-4 inches each {full-grown }and covered 1/2 of the sand in poo in 3-4 days. 75 Gallon! You are in for some poo!

Even fixing my water flow problems just made a insane pile in a corner. I will have them again, but on a dark sand, in a big tank, where the poo piles up where I can suck it out every few days.

Both of mine are small, here's a pic of one of them:

DSCN1155.jpg

Awww it's cute!!! I did really love them in the tank. I'll have more at some point. When we move I'm change my 75g sand to a black plant substrate, maybe that would be a good time :) Maybe I should start with small ones so I will be attached to them when the poo factory starts. Kind of like my kids. :lol:

Awww it's cute!!! I did really love them in the tank. I'll have more at some point. When we move I'm change my 75g sand to a black plant substrate, maybe that would be a good time :) Maybe I should start with small ones so I will be attached to them when the poo factory starts. Kind of like my kids. :lol:

Would you assume the one I posted is a female? I can barely see 2 small bumps on her face that may or may not be bristles. My father has a 3.5 inch albino longfin & it has bunches of long bristles so it's obviously male. I'm pretty sure i have 2 females.

I think I'm going to get a pair of GBR instead of bolivians. More appealing and looked healthier than the bolivians at my petsmart.

So far at that size I would assume female, but keep an eye out. I had spent some time at my LFS while the guy pulled out 8 different BN's showing me the differences. There were some grouchy looking females who DO have bristles but they were around the mouth, or off to the sides. The Males had dominant spikes up the center of the nose, or all over. It turned out the two I had bought were a male and female like I wanted. The female had bristles around her mouth...but I know some females will only have a couple or none.

The largest Gourami I bought is starting to look very male by the way. They have grown a little, and it has a distinct point now to it's dorsal. The smallest still looks female, the larger two picked on it so bad it has a hurt fin....which is healing now that I separated it. I am not going to keep the smaller one now. I don't like the aggression, but the larger two seem to get along fine. Just letting her heal her fin in peace before I trade her out.

Can 2 three spots be fine together? or do you need a second female?

ManofFish :I'm very jealous of the GBR's. Goodluck with them.

Oops a little late reply but, you can see how they do by just keeping an eye on them. Generally though at least 1 female per male is okay but some three spots are different than others. The bigger the tank the better off as far as aggression from my experience.

Here's what I decided in the end:

2 Molly
1 platy
4 cherry barbs
2 Bolivian rams
Have all those, this is what I have yet to get:
20 espeis rasbora
1 L200 green phantom plec
2 SAE
1 dwarf gourami? Just wanted a top dweller. Figured I could get away with it......
1 assassin snail
1 zebra nerite snail

I'm ordering the SAE,L200 and espeis today probably so can't wait to get them. They'll be shipped out Tuesday if I order them today or tomorrow.

Here's what I decided in the end:

2 Molly
1 platy
4 cherry barbs
2 Bolivian rams
Have all those, this is what I have yet to get:
20 espeis rasbora
1 L200 green phantom plec
2 SAE
1 dwarf gourami? Just wanted a top dweller. Figured I could get away with it......
1 assassin snail
1 zebra nerite snail

I'm ordering the SAE,L200 and espeis today probably so can't wait to get them. They'll be shipped out Tuesday if I order them today or tomorrow.

Nice list but I think you should consider getting a Honey Gourami to replace the Dwarf. You could always get lucky with a Dwarf G but I've only been heartbroken by DGD after I've grown attached. :sad: I really hope they find a cure soon............

EDITED for pisspoor spelling :rolleyes:

I thought they were best in trios? If not then I think I'll try a flame dwarf and if it ends up with DGD, I hope not, then I'll get a honey.

Also now I'm stuck between 15 cardinal tetra, 20 espeis rasbora or 20 ember tetra :grr: ugh I hate how there's soooo many choices.

Which is a better schooled and has a better personality is what I want.
I want a good school that will move nicely through the tank.

I thought they were best in trios? If not then I think I'll try a flame dwarf and if it ends up with DGD, I hope not, then I'll get a honey.

Also now I'm stuck between 15 cardinal tetra, 20 espeis rasbora or 20 ember tetra :grr: ugh I hate how there's soooo many choices.

Which is a better schooled and has a better personality is what I want.
I want a good school that will move nicely through the tank.

From my experience nothing schools better than Neons and I'd think the Cardinals would be the same in that regard, although I've never kept Cards myself.......

Lemon Tetras school very well too.

The cardinals school good I've kept 10 before. Just looking for other options. Ordering from here:

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/tropical-fish/265-kuhli-loach.html

It's on kuhli loach to make crossfire happy haha.

If I could get another school of something I'd like to try X-Ray Tetras. They have the same basic bady shape as the Lemons but with more distinct colors. I've always seen them schooling well in the Petco tanks.

Glowlights school exactly the same as Neons. I still have 5 & they are never very far apart. My father's Black Skirts & Black Phantoms also school very well. I always wanted a nice school of a dozen Black or Red Phantoms but they would require a pretty large trank and choice tankmates.

For the record Von Rio Flame TEtras don't school very well at all. I have 10 total of 2 different types. Six of the brighter colored ones & four of the striped aggressive ones. Those actually school separately and sometimes together. You'll almnost always find the striped ones together though where the others spread out all over the tank each on it's own mission.

No stop putting more types of fish in my head lol!!!!! I need to pick from those 3. I want something a little different so I'm thinking either embers or espeis, maybe the espeis though since I don't have any orange already in the tank.....

lol a mission! :lol:

Can't help you there, I never kept any kind of Rasboras or Ember Tetras.

I think the Embers look boring, like little Comet Goldfish. I'd pick the Rasboras just for the color & shape and I think they're supposed to be good, tight schoolers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back