I am unable to identify one of my fish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

On the identification of the "three rummynose tetras," this diagram I posted in another thread may help explain the differences; it is fairly easy to tell them apart especially when you see them together like this. Whichever species--and essjay is correct that the most commonly seen today is Hemigrammus bleheri as it is the most colourful--they need larger groups than the oft-cited "six." Aim for 9-10 minimum, preferably more. I had a group of 21 in my 70g (with many other fish) and this was ideal.

Attachments

• Rummynose chart.jpg
    Rummynose chart.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 62
  • tfh_rummynose_tetras.jpg
    tfh_rummynose_tetras.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 86
So according to your chart @Byron, the OP’s fish is most likely a True Rummy Nose Tetra?

So according to your chart @Byron, the OP’s fish is most likely a True Rummy Nose Tetra?

|Based upon my observation, I would think it more likely to be H. bleheri because of the red extending a bit farther back and the black blotch on the caudal peduncle.

It is also so rare as to be virtually impossible to see H. rhodostomus in the hobby. The more brilliant colour on H. bleheri sells and I think this fish is now being commercially raised in SE Asia. I doubt they would bother with H. rhodostomus.

15864839335846926462817606373851.jpg
Thankyou Guys...!

P.S Can you guys help me identify this plant? The long grass type of plant. I am aware of Cabomba Caroliniana. But I can't identify the other one. I want to propagate the grass.

Attachments

• 15864838832059115496741960096849.jpg
    15864838832059115496741960096849.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 74
The wavy-edged larger leaf plant is a species of Echinodorus, commonly called Amazon Sword though there are several varieties/species under this common name. It is not so easy to pinpoint the exact species or variety.

Echinodorus major is the primary species that has wavy-edged leaves. However, there are a few hybrid varieties with such leaves. It would likely take phylogenetic analysis (of the plant's DNA) to determine precisely, as leaf characteristics alone are not reliable in this genus.

With good nutrition and adequate light, Echinodorus plants will often send out an inflorescence (commonly referred to as a flower stalk), and nodes will occur at set intervals along this inflorescence. Most species when grown submerged as here will not produce flowers at the nodes, but adventitious plants will appear. Once these develop sufficient roots, they can be carefully separated from the inflorescence and planted as new plants. When the plants are grown emersed, as marsh or bog plants with the roots in water but the leaves in the air, and if an inflorescence then appears, it will produce flowers. Propogation by flowers (pollinating, seeds, etc) is not common in aquaria because the plants are grown submersed and adventitious plants develop rapidly if the plant is well fed. Substrate tabs like Seachem's Flourish Tabs will provide excellent nutrients and all Echinodorus plants inevitably grow larger, faster and better with these.

Interestingly, E. major is the only species I know of that will sometimes produce flowers on the inflorescence; I have had this three times with one of my plants, and below is a photo of one of the flower inflorescences.

Attachments

• E. major flowers March 2019 (1).JPG
    E. major flowers March 2019 (1).JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 66
  • E. major flower April 30-17 (3).JPG
    E. major flower April 30-17 (3).JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 60

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back