I am new and doing a fishless cycle!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

missypooh93

Reaction score
I set up the tank 2 weeks ago without a filter, I added sand and a heater but i didn't add bacteria until today when i set up the filter!

My ammonia level is at .50ppm and my nitrite level is at 0ppm. Am i almost done cycling? Let me know if you need a reading on my nitrate levels..

Also does anyone have any suggestions or tips on cleaning the sand. In my other tank I used gravel, but in my new tank i wanted to try sand before getting the 70 gallon in september.

Use a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link to clean the sand. Just kink the hose a bit to slow the water flow out of the tank and you should be fine.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

---------------------
Your filter is not cycled yet. You add ammonia and after a couple of weeks you start to get a nitrite reading. After a few days of having a nitrite reading the ammonia will suddenly drop. That means the first group of filter bacteria are there and working.

Over the next couple of weeks the nitrite will go up and then start to come down. When the nitrite comes down the nitrates will go up.

When the ammonia and nitrite have both gone up and come back down to 0, and you have a nitrate reading, then the filter has cycled. It takes about 4-5 weeks for this to happen.

Keep the water temperature between 26-28C and the pH about 7.0-7.6. If the ammonia or nitrite readings get too high the cycling process can stall and you will need to do a 50% water change to get it going.

Last edited:
Oh thank you for your help, Colin! Any recommendations on ammonia additives?

Oh thank you for your help, Colin! Any recommendations on ammonia additives?

You can use fish food, a piece of prawn or fish to produce ammonia. Or you can buy liquid ammonia from pet shops.

In the UK at least, pet shops do not sell ammonia. Most shop workers will say that fishless cycling is a waste of time, just buy this expensive miracle instant cycling product. You need a store that sells cleaning products, or Amazon/Ebay. You also need to be sure that the ammonia does not contain detergent or perfume.
Since I don't know where in the world you are, have a look at this thread http://www.fishforums.net/threads/ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources.427161/

Once you have some ammonia, this is the method to use www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first

still waiting for nitrites to show up

Attachments

• 15347999079281374360611.jpg
    15347999079281374360611.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 271

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back