I Am Nearly Cycled?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seek

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wondering if my tanks nearly cycled. I got some filter media from a friend, so I think it sped things up to a degree. The cycle started on 18th of june, I did a fish in cycle in a 55 gal.

My reading are:
                         Ammonia - 0 started dropping 2 weeks ago and never really came back (I'm currently %60 stocked)

Nitrite - .25ppm maybe a tiny bit lower - Dropped from .5ppm over the last few days with no water change

Nitrate has been a upwards of 40-80 over the last couple of weeks, seems to be dropping now which worries me.
                         Nitrate is currently around 10-20

Is this the final phase of the cycle? I'm worried the nitrates will keep going down and I'll have to start it again. Any advice is greatly appriciated :)

Are there any plants in the tank?
What is the stocking?
Where are you getting the %60 stocked from?
It looks like you are almost fully cycled. You will be fully cycled when you don't see any ammonia/nitrite for consistently for at least two readings. Having some mature media really helps the cycle! :)

Blondielovesfish said:
Are there any plants in the tank?
What is the stocking?
Where are you getting the %60 stocked from?
It looks like you are almost fully cycled. You will be fully cycled when you don't see any ammonia/nitrite for consistently for at least two readings. Having some mature media really helps the cycle!
smile.png

Thanks for the fast reply Blondie. Yes I have quite a few Ambulias and a few other plants like swords and anubias + a few other grass types.

I really hope so!  Can't wait to be fully cycled.

I used a online stocking calculator and listed all the species, not sure how accurate they are?

Thanks again

The most often-quoted site really does give some terrible advice, I'm assuming you're using the one I refer to. What fish have you got in there?

The plants would be your reason why your nitrates are dropping. Plants eat ammonia and nitrate. :)
What is your stocking?
Also, Pics? :snap:

the_lock_man said:
The most often-quoted site really does give some terrible advice, I'm assuming you're using the one I refer to. What fish have you got in ther
I think it's REMOVED or something?

2 platy
4 albino corys
4 bronze corys
8 neon tetras
2 baby Synodontis pectricolas only about 10mm long

Ph is 7.6

AQadvisor isn't very reliable. I recommend that you don't base your stocking on what it says.

Cory's like to be in shoals of at least 6 so if you could get more bronze and albino cory's they would be much happier. :) 
Apart from your cories, I think your stocking is pretty good :)

Blondielovesfish said:
The plants would be your reason why your nitrates are dropping. Plants eat ammonia and nitrate.
smile.png

What is your stocking?
Also, Pics?
photo.gif
Here's a picture

http://postimg.org/image/i5twnshgn/

Tried uploading the image, but said I could'nt use the file extension or something. But there's a link there

Nice! Not a fan of that blue gravel though but every one has different things they like and dislike. :)

Blondielovesfish said:
Nice! Not a fan of that blue gravel though but every one has different things they like and dislike.
smile.png
Haha yeah it's not a natrual look. Me and my girlfriend were talking about getting a sand substrate, but worried about losing it all during cleaning. I don't really wan't a fine sand either though. Most of the lfs have just gravel
confused.gif

Edit: This is a old photo, those ambulias are nearly at the top of the waterline now lol

Blondielovesfish said:
That site isn't very reliable. I recommend that you don't base your stocking on what it says.

Cory's like to be in shoals of at least 6 so if you could get more bronze and albino cory's they would be much happier.
smile.png

Apart from your cories, I think your stocking is pretty good
smile.png
The most commonly available albino cory is a colour morph of the bronze, so I think the OP is alright on that
smile.png

Seek said:

The most often-quoted site really does give some terrible advice, I'm assuming you're using the one I refer to. What fish have you got in ther
I think it's REMOVED or something?

2 platy
4 albino corys
4 bronze corys
8 neon tetras
2 baby Synodontis pectricolas only about 10mm long

Ph is 7.6

Yes that is the site I thought it was. As said previously, don't take anything from there as gospel, check it out here first.

Seek said:
Ammonia - 0 started dropping 2 weeks ago and never really came back (I'm currently %60 stocked)

Blondielovesfish said:
What is the stocking?

Blondielovesfish said:
What is your stocking?

Blondielovesfish said:
Advert for another forum removed isn't very reliable. I recommend that you don't base your stocking on what it says.

Hi guys,

Just a silly question, can anyone here explain a bit about "stocked" meaning? I've tried to understand but couldn't get it yet. 

Thanks

'Stock' is short for 'lifestock'.

'Stocking' is either what fish are in the tank now, or what is planned to go in.

fluttermoth said:
'Stock' is short for 'lifestock'.

'Stocking' is either what fish are in the tank now, or what is planned to go in.

Thanks mate.. I get it. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back