Hydor Eth 300

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

josh_g

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive just purchased one of these to run with my Fluval FX6 when I get my 500ltr back up and running next week. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Hydor external heater 300w with an FX5 or FX6? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I ran a 200W on my filter. The only issue is it can only take so much flow before it becomes useless. The flow needs time to warm up before passing through it. It will say this in the book you get with it for what its rated for am sure...

would you recommend it over an internal filter though?

whoops meant heater 

I would yes, but there very rare now and they are prone to breaking/leaking so just be aware :p

I believe that people have had some trouble getting the external heaters set up properly on the FX5-6's due to the hosing.

There have been many set up options sorted with all sorts of connectors and separate loops to allow for flow control, but it's not as straightforward as with the smaller filters.

Can't speak to the current models being made, but I have two inline Hydors (a 300w and a 200w) running for close to a decade. No leaks, no problems. I like their in tank Theo line as well, I just bought another one.

People have had issues with their Hydors where they have run them in non vertical positions and get trapped air/gas in the heater causing failure of the heating element especially where only say half the heater ends up being in water.

Other than that my mate has had one for probably over 10 years now. Wrap an elastic band round/over the temperature knob as easy to knock when fiddling around with filters, pipes etc.

I use to have the Hydor 300 Watt when I was using a canister, it's the best heater out there.  It takes a little more to setup, need to cut your hoses and have it vertical and such.  Once you get it done, it's very reliable and unlike a regular in tank heater, this one heats the water on contact so your temperature will stay perfect.  Wish I could use it with my sump.  There's a new heater in town called Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater, I hear it's all the rave.  It's expensive, personally I have not been impressed with Cobalt products, they are cheaply made, though people seem to like this heater.  I think I'll just buy cheap heaters and replace them every year when they break.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back