Huge mistake... Im so mad at myself...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Clean the whole tank out. Set it up again, put a whole lot of plant in it, when the plant starts to grow (10 days) add a few fish.
R.gif

He's pretty closer to being cycled using ammonia I believe. He may as well finish the cycling using this method and then he can be sure it's safe to add a full stocking of fish.

He's pretty closer to being cycled using ammonia I believe. He may as well finish the cycling using this method and then he can be sure it's safe to add a full stocking of fish.
You would hope so, wouldn't you?. I don't see him getting any closer at all.

Good reply. At some stage you will have to ask yourself do you want to keep fish, or do you want to have a tank with water in it and a whole lot of ammonia
Well see, I was doing those 1ppm doses of ammonia every 3 days to keep the tank cycled while I waited on getting fish, then I added 3 ppm and ig the BB backed off cause there wasn't a lot of ammonia... So now I at least want the tank to process 2ppm

I was cycled at one point... But I couldn't get fish then

If the tank was cycled before, then it has the beneficial bacteria in the filter. Just drain it, refill with dechlorinated water, add some plants, let it run a few days and add some fish.

Doesnt hurt at this point to add the 2ppm ammonia and see how long it takes for ammonia and nitrites to go to 0...if it does it in one day, he will be cycled.
The plants would have to be established and fast growing if he were to going the planted route at this point.

I just did a 75% water change... I do not want to add anymore plants though... I think it'll mess up the way the tank is set up rn... So I will add 2ppm amm in the morning and test 24hrs later

Doesnt hurt at this point to add the 2ppm ammonia and see how long it takes for ammonia and nitrites to go to 0...if it does it in one day, he will be cycled.
The plants would have to be established and fast growing if he were to going the planted route at this point.
Agreed, just like what I have done

To be honest I like the minimalist look, you will be able to enter it in the tank of the month. How big is it again?

I
To be honest I like the minimalist look, you will be able to enter it in the tank of the month. How big is it again?
Its a 20 gallon high... So 24inx12inx16in

Plants can come in due time when he decides to add them. Let's see how his tank progresses in the next several days as he completes his fishless cycling. I cycled my first tank in about 5 weeks using ammonia and no plants. I then added a full stocking of fish knowing that they would be fine seeing that the BB was at proper levels for their survival. My other tanks were cycled very quickly by using media from my cycled tank. Worked fine for me and my fish.

Plants can come in due time when he decides to add them. Let's see how his tank progresses in the next several days as he completes his fishless cycling. I cycled my first tank in about 5 weeks using ammonia and no plants. I then added a full stocking of fish knowing that they would be fine seeing that the BB was at proper levels for their survival. My other tanks were cycled very quickly by using media from my cycled tank. Worked fine for me and my fish.
That's good this tank started "cycling" at the beginning of October, so it has been around 3.5 months ( 14 weeks) or so

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back