How’s the weather?

Looking at the bright side:

hjyy.png

It comes thru my walls too. they don't build for cold in Texas, and even though I have blown in cellulose, the north side of the house the walls are cold. I have past floor length drapes hung over my doors to slow the cold. It helps, and of course on the windows

It comes thru my walls too. they don't build for cold in Texas, and even though I have blown in cellulose, the north side of the house the walls are cold. I have past floor length drapes hung over my doors to slow the cold. It helps, and of course on the windows
Real cloth drapes beat Venetian blinds any day of the week . I am very glad to have cloth drapes and the bedrooms have blackout drapes which are heavier. They’re not a total cure but they help . I’m thinking really hard about that big sliding glass patio door I have . That thing is a radiator out to the cold and needs to go .

I won't have a sliding glass patio door, I don't mind big windows, but it's too hard to cover that door for heat / cold transmission. I have blinds AND drapes on most of my windows. And drapes over the doors. I also have storm windows

I won't have a sliding glass patio door, I don't mind big windows, but it's too hard to cover that door for heat / cold transmission. I have blinds AND drapes on most of my windows. And drapes over the doors. I also have storm windows
It’s IMPOSSIBLE to cover that sliding glass patio door . I am losing a lot of heat through that thing . That and it’s kind of a security issue in my mind . After this cold spell I’m not liking that thing at all .

I used a pair of shower curtains to cover a pair of doublehung windows during snowmageddon. It gave sunlight but slowed the drafts and cold transmission from the glass Get a long curtain rod and go across the top, either long regular drapes or shower curtains

@Slaphppy7 It’s been so cold so long that the cold is overpowering my house . I can feel it coming through the walls and windows . The furnace is running nonstop just to maintain 68 degrees . There’s no way I’m even going to go barefoot inside and just being outside for 15 minutes to fill my bird feeder about took my breath away . We’re going on five days of this now and that’s really not that long but it seems like an eternity . Here’s an odd thing about the snow and extreme cold . The colder it gets , like now , the better traction you get . There must be some sciency reason why but I don’t know it . Anywho , we’re supposed to come out of this tomorrow and get up to 20 above but I’m skeptical . When it gets this cold it takes a major weather shift to move the cold air out .
I could not live up North...no way I'd survive those winters...probably analogous for Northerners and our brutal heat during the summer months down here

I grew up in the north, and center of the US. That's how I know about storm windows, blinds plus drapes and insulation. The heat about killed me last year. If I can juggle everything and sell this house I think I'm moving to Kentucky this June. I've had enough. The heat is destroying my business too. no pond work when it's too hot to look at the pond.

I grew up in the north, and center of the US. That's how I know about storm windows, blinds plus drapes and insulation. The heat about killed me last year. If I can juggle everything and sell this house I think I'm moving to Kentucky this June. I've had enough. The heat is destroying my business too. no pond work when it's too hot to look at the pond.
It was rough, I hear ya....many days above 100F...factor in the humidity, and it's nothing nice

I work outdoors. If I retire I can't afford my mortgage. The heat may have contributed to the auto immune storm that gave me immune thrombocytopenia and If I hadn't gone in for normal bloodwork in the fall it might have killed me. The bruising started when the heat came on. Texas is not nice to women anyway, I shall take a hike.

I just came in from clearing the driveway. I am about 35 miles NNE of NYC. Until the most recent climate changes, we used to get snow a lot. Now it seems to prefer the states in the south and centear east coast more than us. Out driveway is long and we have a center islans and a poorly placed carpot. it is hard tp plow here so we have a utility tractor with a 40 inch snow thrower on the front.

Even though the ground temp is 26F, it must be warmer higher up as it was freezing rain when I finished . We are at a high elevation for the area. Normally, I can go out of the house and it is snowing and drive into town (downhill almost the whole way) and when I get to taown it is raining. And then when I come back home it is snowing.

What we seem to have today is the revers. Warmer air atop cooler. So it is raining higher hp and that is freezing as it gets close to the ground. In certain considion of water and cold the 1/8 mile main driveway off of which we live and out driveway are black ice completely. You can not even walk up and down. you would need ice skates to go down and would have to hike in the snow or underbrush on either side of the driveway.= to come up.

I have a wonderful thing however- temporary chains I can put onto my rear tires quickly to bail me out when stuck.
https://tirechain.com/tire-chains-emergency-strap-for-cars-and-mini-vans-set-of-2/

The pic below is not from today- is is a prior storm. That is a Weber grill on our deck:

wintergrill.jpg

I could not live up North...no way I'd survive those winters...probably analogous for Northerners and our brutal heat during the summer months down here
Yeah, that's the thing. Nobody really likes the cold, but we deal with it, just like nobody likes the heat down south, but they deal with it. It's all what you're used to.

Most reactions

Back