How’s the weather?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Windy and spitting rain today! The rain isn't enough to amount to anything, but it's nice to have it a bit cooler for a while. I just went outside and saw some poor kid's kiddie pool rolling down the street. Wyoming wind doesn't mess around.
was there a kid in the pool?
please say yes :)

Well, it's 85 today, cloudy and humid out there, allegedly it will rain later. It was the best possible time to have to put a spare tire, then come home, fix the punctured one (thankfully, I don't have any inclination to buy new tires yet) and put it back on. Funny thing is most people looked at me like I was doing the impossible. Don't know if they were being overly generous with their compliments, or if they really consider such thing as a top tier "manly" thing to do. Anyway, I'm glad I could still salvage that tire, and I'm sure the sweat was worth it.

The UK is at risk of drought having had only 25% of the average rainfall this month, on the back of a couple of dry years. We're been asked not to water lawns, not to wash cars, take showers not baths etc. If we can do this then we should avoid a drought and the serious implications for farming and crops.
On the sunnier side, the weather is pleasant and is warming up nicely for the weekend :cool:

The UK is at risk of drought having had only 25% of the average rainfall this month, on the back of a couple of dry years. We're been asked not to water lawns, not to wash cars, take showers not baths etc. If we can do this then we should avoid a drought and the serious implications for farming and crops.
On the sunnier side, the weather is pleasant and is warming up nicely for the weekend :cool:
I understand most of the stuff on there but showers? I think people should definitely be able to shower. Just try to take shorter ones

I understand most of the stuff on there but showers? I think people should definitely be able to shower. Just try to take shorter ones
Lol, I think you have misread that. We will be showering 🚿 just not taking baths🛁.

You shouldn't need to water lawns or gardens anyway unless it's been dry for a few weeks. Even then if the weather is cool the plants should be fine without being watered.

Do you water your indoor plants every day?
Probably not because they don't need it.

You shouldn't need to water lawns or gardens anyway unless it's been dry for a few weeks. Even then if the weather is cool the plants should be fine without being watered.

Do you water your indoor plants every day?
Probably not because they don't need it.
I'm sure that's true in some places. If we don't water our veggies at least every other day, they die. Our climate is that dry.

I'm sure that's true in some places. If we don't water our veggies at least every other day, they die. Our climate is that dry.
Have a 2-4 inch layer of mulch on top of the soil to trap moisture in it.

Add manures, compost and clay to build up the soil so it holds more moisture.

Put 50-75% shade cloth over the garden beds during really hot weather. The plants still grow well but don't use as much water and are less likely to dry out.

That's what I do in Australia during summer and we don't get rain during summer, or autumn, or spring, and only a bit in winter.

Back in 1976 the UK had a serious drought. I lived in Cardiff at that time and mains water there was switched off at 1 pm and back on at 6 am for 7 hours, then off again. The bucket manufacturers made a fortune. I filled buckets of water every morning before going to work for cooking, washing the dishes, flushing the toilet (using the water I'd washed the dishes in) and washing myself (I could have a shower before work but the water was off after work). Washing clothes was difficult as I didn't have a washing machine and the launderette closed at lunchtime as there was no water and the queues on Saturday mornings were so long it took hours.
Other places had the water turned off 24/7 and people had to fetch buckets of water from a standpipe.

Anyone who lived through that summer will know why it's important to not waste water now.

Back to normal summer temps after a 3 day "heat wave". Low to mid 80s during the day, dipping to 70s and even higher 60s in the middle of the night. Summer is short lived here, haven't used ac units for 2 days straight as the apartment is well insulated and can actually cool it off and stays that way.

Back in 1976 the UK had a serious drought. I lived in Cardiff at that time and mains water there was switched off at 1 pm and back on at 6 am for 7 hours, then off again. The bucket manufacturers made a fortune. I filled buckets of water every morning before going to work for cooking, washing the dishes, flushing the toilet (using the water I'd washed the dishes in) and washing myself (I could have a shower before work but the water was off after work). Washing clothes was difficult as I didn't have a washing machine and the launderette closed at lunchtime as there was no water and the queues on Saturday mornings were so long it took hours.
Other places had the water turned off 24/7 and people had to fetch buckets of water from a standpipe.

Anyone who lived through that summer will know why it's important to not waste water now.
I remember 76 very well

Covered head to foot in ladybirds the moment you stepped outside
Walking across dried up lakes and resevoirs
Standpipes in the street to get water

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back