How’s the weather?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BestOffbeatHoopoe.webp

The Met Office has just released a red warning for heat - the first ever issued in the UK. It's due to last 3 days, then back down to normal for the time of year.

I am relieved to see that we are right on the edge of the amber warning zone but I feel sorry for those who live 'down south'.

The Met Office has just released a red warning for heat - the first ever issued in the UK. It's due to last 3 days, then back down to normal for the time of year.

I am relieved to see that we are right on the edge of the amber warning zone but I feel sorry for those who live 'down south'.
get a portable air conditioner
keep doors, windows and curtains shut during the day.
open house up at night to let cool air in.
turn off any electrical appliances you don't need on.

If you get too hot, stand under a cold shower with your clothes on and then sit in front of a fan. As the water evaporates it will cool you off.

If you have to go outside in that heat, put a long sleeve shirt on and stand under the shower to get soaking wet. Wet your hair as well. Then go outside. The wet clothing will help keep you cooler for longer.

Wear a broad rim hat outside or use an umbrella to keep the sun off you.

Avoid going outside between 10am and 4pm.

Welcome to Australia :)

keep doors, windows and curtains shut during the day.
open house up at night to let cool air in.
turn off any electrical appliances you don't need on.
My husband and I already do that when it reaches temperatures you would consider cold :)

It's mainly that these temperatures are so unusual here. And they last just a few days when they do happen so we don't stand any chance of becoming acclimatised. An AC unit would sit unused for around 360 days a year which is why few, if any, homes are built with them ready installed. We spend a lot more money insulating our homes to keep the cold out.

I have dug out my ION fan from the darkest part of my shed. It still works.

I recently changed from cream to black voiles and thermobacked curtains....both methinks will be handy

The potential high for tomorrow is 79 degrees, Sunday 86 degrees, Monday 92 degrees and Tuesday 99 degrees....then its rain and 72 degrees on Wednesday.

I still think 1976 was warmer but then that lasted several months, not just a couple of days.

It's mainly that these temperatures are so unusual here. And they last just a few days when they do happen so we don't stand any chance of becoming acclimatised. An AC unit would sit unused for around 360 days a year which is why few, if any, homes are built with them ready installed. We spend a lot more money insulating our homes to keep the cold out.
Very unusual but it's gonna happen more often and you lot could become like Rhode Island in America where it hits 40C in summer and snows and freezes in winter.

I would at least look into an evaporative cooling air conditioner. You could probably make one from a large plastic storage container, water pump, hose, spray bar and a fan.

Hang a couple of tea towels on a line above the storage container.
Fill the container with water.
Use the water pump and hose to pump water up above the tea towels and have it rain down on them with the spray bar.
Have a fan behind them to blow air through the wet tea towels.

When not in use can be used for the fish.

In the last 7 days, its been 4 named storms, flooding, snow, thundersnow and hail

Today its allegedly going to be sunny...but I shall believe that once I actually see the big orangey yellowy ball in the sky.
Yeah, the big orangy ball. But not in the sky. A downwards movement into the darkest depths would be better

Anyway - the weather. You know when you wash your car and it rains right after, how you book your holidays to a nice Mediterannean resort and the rain follows you there. Well I made a water collection barrel for my tanks to get soft water AND IT HASN'T RAINED SINCE apart from a couple of really small showers.

Edited to remove a political image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back