How would i humanely kill a pleco quickly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

idontusenames

Reaction score
They are an invasive species in lots of states and I would like to know how to kill them quickly (if the state recommends it, like in Florida).

That's a sort of a tricky question, because I think it might depend on the circumstances. Are you going out to try and deliberately catch plecs to help clear them from the waters, or you just fishing them up incidentally as you're fishing for other things?

Normally, for euthanising aquarium fish, I'd be recommending a product called Aqua-Sed, which is a proper, veterinary approved, fish anaesthetic.

However, that needs at least one separate container, and the ability to have an accurately measured volume of water (so as to be able to ensure you're using enough of the medication), as well as the med itself, which might not be practical to carry around with you, if you're just out fishing normally. It's the method I'd recommend if you think you're going to be dealing with multiple plecs.

If you're just needing to deal with the odd individual fish, you might be better of getting an experienced fisherman to show you how to kill them with a blow to the head; if done properly, that is actually quite quick and humane.

whack em on the head with a solid object

Some fishermen snap necks back by grabbing under the gills and pushing the head up and back onto the body, and that is brutal and unpleasant and be hard to do to a pleco. Others stick a knife thru the lateral line just behind the head. For a pleco you would go thru the top of the head behind the eyes and stick a knife in there. Make sure it's sharp.

My personal choice is whack em on the head and then stick a knife in the brain. The fish will be unconscious or dead from the blow to the head and the knife in the brain makes sure.

The following link has some info on where to stab the brain in fish to kill them. It also has some pdf documents showing some images.
http://www.ikijime.com/

http://www.ikijime.com/fish/catfish-tiger-shovelnosed/

whack em on the head with a solid object

Some fishermen snap necks back by grabbing under the gills and pushing the head up and back onto the body, and that is brutal and unpleasant and be hard to do to a pleco. Others stick a knife thru the lateral line just behind the head. For a pleco you would go thru the top of the head behind the eyes and stick a knife in there. Make sure it's sharp.

My personal choice is whack em on the head and then stick a knife in the brain. The fish will be unconscious or dead from the blow to the head and the knife in the brain makes sure.

The following link has some info on where to stab the brain in fish to kill them. It also has some pdf documents showing some images.
http://www.ikijime.com/

http://www.ikijime.com/fish/catfish-tiger-shovelnosed/
thanks, but I usually carry a leatherman so would I just smash it on the head with that then stab it or get a rock?

That's a sort of a tricky question, because I think it might depend on the circumstances. Are you going out to try and deliberately catch plecs to help clear them from the waters, or you just fishing them up incidentally as you're fishing for other things?

Normally, for euthanising aquarium fish, I'd be recommending a product called Aqua-Sed, which is a proper, veterinary approved, fish anaesthetic.

However, that needs at least one separate container, and the ability to have an accurately measured volume of water (so as to be able to ensure you're using enough of the medication), as well as the med itself, which might not be practical to carry around with you, if you're just out fishing normally. It's the method I'd recommend if you think you're going to be dealing with multiple plecs.

If you're just needing to deal with the odd individual fish, you might be better of getting an experienced fisherman to show you how to kill them with a blow to the head; if done properly, that is actually quite quick and humane.
i'm talking about fishing one and catching it randomly, guess I could use a knife and get it in the brain through behind the skull, thanks

I killed mine in a very cruel way but I had to do it my Cichlids are having babies and he is was a little to big he was about 8 inches in a 30 gallon tank so when he did I just threw it out the window Bc all the babies eggs were flying around and he was eating them but I felt like a dick because of how I killed him

I killed mine in a very cruel way but I had to do it my Cichlids are having babies and he is was a little to big he was about 8 inches in a 30 gallon tank so when he did I just threw it out the window Bc all the babies eggs were flying around and he was eating them but I felt like a dick because of how I killed him
You threw a pet out of your window because of your own incompetence...... wow.

Removing a fish from water results in the fish suffocating to death. This is not a humane way to kill a fish I agree with you. I would recommend you never do this again in future.

Many of us here can help you with fish-related issues, just ask.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back