How to use a gravel cleaner

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi there! Now that I have finally hacked back my tank, I see the amount of gunk and old nastiness on the substrate. Following this, I've ordered a gravel cleaner on amazon and will use it when it arrives. however, I'm not sure how to, and I don't want to disturb my plants to much as it is a planted tank. The substrate in question is fluorite black.

There's loads of videos on YouTube you could have a look at to show you how to use one, The one in particular I thought was the best was Aquarium Co op

Which model do you have? Some have a priming pump while others you have to start the siphon manually.

Last edited:
Put the gravel clean in the tank and fill it with water.
Put the end of the hose in a bucket.
Suck on the end of the hose or watch YouTube for how to start them draining.
When the water is draining out, push the gravel cleaner into the substrate and lift it up. The gravel will circulate in the tube and drop down, while the gunk gets drawn out with some water.
Move the gravel cleaner around the tank pushing it into the gravel and lifting it up.

When you have drained out say 50-75% of the tank water, stop gravel cleaning and refill the tank with dechlorinated water.

Leave a couple of inches of undisturbed gravel around each plant so you don't damage their roots.

Real aquarists suck.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back