How to tell the difference

nene

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I plan to buy some Otto Cats this weekend and to me Ottos and Siamese Algae Eaters look alot alike. I don't trust my LFS to know the difference either (past experience, sigh) and I know I do not want an SAE. Can someone tell me a particular differentinating feature to look for so I know I am getting an Otto Cat? Thanks for any help. :blink:

Ottos are small and green with black mottled patches, SAE are long bodied and are silver with a black horizontal stripe that runs the entire length of the body.

I got 3 otto cats this weekend and they are silver with a black stripe running horizontally. The SAEs they had in the other tank were silver with black mottling. Now I am confused. Please tell me I did not buy SAEs! :eek:

Yes, that is them. Phew! Thanks all for all the info. :D

BTW, there isn't Otocinclus affinis, it's Macrotocinclus affinis nowadays. However, many of M. affinis are O. vestitus or vittatus. Looking pics, you see differents.

Ottos has that "sucker mouth" unlike SAE (C. siamensis, right?).

IF you're planning to buy Ottos, be sure you can keep water cooler (and your other fish can be in cooler water too). Ottos like to be in cooler, although they stand 25C too (not recommended, under 25C is better). They need fresh water and algae. Algae is very important when you put new ottos in your tank.

I keep my tank at 82 - 84 F. The Otos actually seem more content at this temp. May be 'cause I slowly acclimated my tank and they got used to it. I know they are supposed to be at lower temps, but I had more problems at lower temp.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back