How to Raise PH in Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goldfish4EVER

Reaction score
How should I raise the PH? I currently have 6.8 PH, but I heard you need it higher so that your tank will cycle faster. I've heard you should add baking soda, but not sure if that's safe.

Firstly, what kind of fish are you keeping in your water? You should always research their recommended water parameters, 6.8 is perfectly fine for most tropical fish. However, if you want to buffer the pH so that it's less likely to drop off over time (which can happen), you can add some crushed coral to the substrate and that should help buffer it and may raise it a bit.

Is this a fish-in cycle or a fishless cycle?

Baking soda is OK in a fishless cycle as the big water change at the end will remove it all. But it is not OK if you are doing a cycle with fish.

Once the tank is cycled, you need fish which require a hardness similar to your tap water. If it's soft, soft water fish prefer a pH under 7.0 so you don't need to increase KH and pH.

How should I raise the PH? I currently have 6.8 PH, but I heard you need it higher so that your tank will cycle faster. I've heard you should add baking soda, but not sure if that's safe.
Hello Goldfish. Trying to change the chemistry of your water isn't worth the effort. The chances of being able to maintain the change is next to none. Your fish will be much healthier if you just treat the tap water you have and then change half of if it every few days. This alone will maintain a steady and safe water chemistry for you fish and plants.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back