How to gender green killifish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

BBfishes

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the gender of green species of killifish? I will attach a photo below to which kind Iā€™m speaking of. Abs how do you tell fighting from a breeding behavior?

Attachments

• CB51F902-2CBC-4464-9421-6D60CA0B3276.jpeg
    CB51F902-2CBC-4464-9421-6D60CA0B3276.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 78
Generally with killis, the males are the more colorful ones while the females are the dull looking ones. The killi in the pic is a male.

That looks like a male to me, have you a group of these? The females are the boring ones.
Ok because I have another green one but one has some orange on the tip of the tail and the other does not. I noticed they were spinning in circles. So I wasnā€™t sure if they were fighting or mating. But I think I saw one at the store that was kinda a grayish color which makes me think thatā€™s what the females must look like. Or it was just younger or something.

Generally with killis, the males are the more colorful ones while the females are the dull looking ones. The killi in the pic is a male.
Ok because I have another green one but one has some orange on the tip of the tail and the other does not. I noticed they were spinning in circles. So I wasnā€™t sure if they were fighting or mating. But I think I saw one at the store that was kinda a grayish color which makes me think thatā€™s what the females must look like. Or it was just younger or something.

The grey boring one is the female, she is the one that nobody wants

The fish in the picture is Aplocheilus lineatus (striped panchax killifish). It is a gold form.

Males have longer more pointed dorsal (top) and anal (bottom) fins.
Males get bigger than females.
Males are more brightly/ intensely coloured than females.

When breeding, the male will swim near a female and flare its fins out and his colour usually gets brighter. He will entice her to some plants and the pr will go into the plants and swim next to each other. They will stop, shimmer/ shake for a few seconds and then swim out of the plants. That 2 seconds of shimmering is them releasing their gametes (eggs & sperm).

The eggs stick to plants and take about a week to hatch. The babies swim just under the surface and eat infusoria and other tiny bits of food. After a couple of weeks the fry can eat newly hatched brineshrimp.

The adult fish will eat the young so you should feed the adults really well when they are breeding and try to remove any fry to a separate tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back