🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people!!

I just setup a 10 gal. Tank today, with a 2-10 gal. Whisper filter, and a Tetra heater.

How do I “fill up” the tank? Do I need to get some big plants? Or maybe decor?

Thank you for your time! :thanks:

I will post a picture in a bit. :)

First you need to decide what species will be in the tank. Décor must provide what the fish "expect," and this can be "fake" or "real" provided it meets their needs. Once you know the species and what they must have, you can provide décor that provides it.

Hello TFF people!!

I just setup a 10 gal. Tank today, with a 2-10 gal. Whisper filter, and a Tetra heater.

How do I “fill up” the tank? Do I need to get some big plants? Or maybe decor?

Thank you for your time! :thanks:

I will post a picture in a bit. :)
I agree with Byron. You can add your substrate and fill the tank using a water pitcher. Go ahead and hook your filter up and your heater. Then you can start cycling the tank. While you’re waiting for the cycle to complete you can research what type of fish you want ( what is compatible with your tank size) and basic needs of that particular fish. Some fish need soft plants or silk, some need lots of caves and hiding places, etc. That’s why you should wait on your decor. Good luck!

Thank you both!

The tank is already cycled.

I put a small filter cartridge in the big filter, from one of my already cycled tanks, and I did a test of the water with my API master test kit!

All readings are correct. :)

Maybe a betta fish with like 4-5 Zebra danios? Would that work? :)

Ahh. . . The fun and joy of a new tank. Yes, as you were advised, get the filter going and have it ready. Now you have time to haunt the pet shops and find some treasure you may not have even known you wanted.
The Zeebs might be too hyper to keep with a Betta.

In a 10 gallon tank - yes to the betta, no to the danios.

Danios are very fast swimming fish and need a tank bigger than 10 gallons. They need at least 3 ft swimming length.
And they are not compatible with bettas for two reasons. Betta's like the temperature slightly above 25 deg C (77 deg F), while zebra danios need cooler water as they are temperate fish rather than tropical. Secondly, their fast swimming will stress a betta.

To be honest, bettas are not community fish, they are better kept alone. And a 10 gallon tank is a perfect size for this.
If you want more than one fish, I would forget the betta and look into some of the so-called nano species eg one of the Boraras species if you have soft water or endlers (males only) if you have hard water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back