How to decrease aggression in discus tank

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi TFF

I used to have 4 discus and yesterday I moved him to QT tank (other discus peck him and he wasn't able to eat) and he died due to stupid heater overheating like what @PheonixKingZ had experienced.

Now my question is;
How many discus is okay for 55 gal tank and should I buy more to avoid aggression?

@Colin_T

It is recommended that for a single discus you give them 50 gallons. For every additional discus after that you want to give them an extra 5-10 Gallons per fish. Having said that you could barely had 2 discus living comfortably in your tank.

Are there any other fish in your tank? The discus may feel overcrowded and attacked the weakest link to "make some room".

As for avoiding agression I think the only thing I can suggest is to get a larger tank. Dont buy any more discus.

Just an addition as I had a look on seriouslyfish for you (which I highly recommend you look at when it comes to tank size etc).
What are your dimensions for your tank? Seriously fish states you need a tank with plenty of head room, and they advise on a 65 gallon tank for a pair.

Just an addition as I had a look on seriouslyfish for you (which I highly recommend you look at when it comes to tank size etc).
What are your dimensions for your tank? Seriously fish states you need a tank with plenty of head room, and they advise on a 65 gallon tank for a pair.
I've read on seriously fish a month ago they stated that 55 gal for 5 discus for some reason, maybe it changes

I've read on seriously fish a month ago they stated that 55 gal for 5 discus for some reason, maybe it changes

It could very well have been updated with more relevant information. It states either a few juvenilles, or a mating pair for 255 litres (67.3 US Gallons). It also mentioned tank size too.

I still think that adding more discus wouldn't be the best course of action, if anything I'd keep an eye out for a larger tank and begin preparing it for the discus. If they feel stressed it could lead to poor health along with the bullying.

Regarding the bullying I did a little more research for you. The bullying when feeding is actually normal, the "top fish" will always eat their fill first, then the "lesser fish" will eat whatever is left. If the "lesser fish" tries eating before it's time it will be bullied and harrassed. The best way to stop this and prevent your "lesser fish" from missing a meal is to spread their food over the entire tank, this gives all discus a fair chance at getting some chow.

I forgot to ask but what other fish do you have in the tank? would you say there is room for a bullied discus to hide somewhere?

I think your problem is due to three separate factors that has culminated in your discus death.

The first is that you don't have enough discus. You need six as a minimum to spread the aggression around. Discus aggression like most cichlids is hierarchy and spawning related and at groups of less than 6, without the aggression being spread around the "weakest" or least aggressive will become the victim.

Second part of your problem is that your 55 gals is simply to small.

Lastly, if a discus is attacked and dies from that attack, you have a bacteria issue. Discus are sensitive and if the conditions are not optimal the wounds wont heal. My advice is monthly cleaning of the filter as well as a fine sponge prefilter on the intake. You'll be amazed at how much gunk the prefilter captures. It's gunk that'd be fine in a regular tank/planted. But that gunk swirling around in a filter for discus is problematic. And I can't stress enough how problematic that can be.

I hope some of the above helps.

I used to have 4 discus and yesterday I moved him to QT tank (other discus peck him and he wasn't able to eat) and he died due to stupid heater overheating like what @PheonixKingZ had experienced.

Now my question is;
How many discus is okay for 55 gal tank and should I buy more to avoid aggression?
1 breeding pr for a 55 gallon tank.

The only way to minimise aggression is to have a huge tank (10 foot +) with lots of wood and plants, and grow up a lot (10+) of discus together. Having some dither fish in the tank can help too. However, as the discus mature, the individual prs will set up territories and drive the others away. Fish that can't establish their own territory will be bullied and eventually die so most breeders remove the prs when they form and put them in separate tanks.

It could very well have been updated with more relevant information. It states either a few juvenilles, or a mating pair for 255 litres (67.3 US Gallons). It also mentioned tank size too.

I still think that adding more discus wouldn't be the best course of action, if anything I'd keep an eye out for a larger tank and begin preparing it for the discus. If they feel stressed it could lead to poor health along with the bullying.

Regarding the bullying I did a little more research for you. The bullying when feeding is actually normal, the "top fish" will always eat their fill first, then the "lesser fish" will eat whatever is left. If the "lesser fish" tries eating before it's time it will be bullied and harrassed. The best way to stop this and prevent your "lesser fish" from missing a meal is to spread their food over the entire tank, this gives all discus a fair chance at getting some chow.

I forgot to ask but what other fish do you have in the tank? would you say there is room for a bullied discus to hide somewhere?
No, I don’t have other fishes, only discus

1 breeding pr for a 55 gallon tank.

The only way to minimise aggression is to have a huge tank (10 foot +) with lots of wood and plants, and grow up a lot (10+) of discus together. Having some dither fish in the tank can help too. However, as the discus mature, the individual prs will set up territories and drive the others away. Fish that can't establish their own territory will be bullied and eventually die so most breeders remove the prs when they form and put them in separate tanks.
I can buy a tank but we don’t have place to put them as our house is a furniture store (kinda like Ikea ya know) and the only way I can get is having an apartment which I’ll move in in about a year and a half.

I can buy a tank but we don’t have place to put them as our house is a furniture store (kinda like Ikea ya know) and the only way I can get is having an apartment which I’ll move in in about a year and a half.
You could put it in the lobby for the customers to look at. Could be cool, because the tank has to be huge for more than a pair of discus :).

You could put it in the lobby for the customers to look at. Could be cool, because the tank has to be huge for more than a pair of discus :).
I’m not the owner, my grandma is the owner soooo....

I will be in a university inabout 1 year and already plan the apartment

is there anyway to move fishes by car though?
@Colin_T

I’m not the owner, my grandma is the owner soooo....

I will be in a university inabout 1 year and already plan the apartment

is there anyway to move fishes by car though?
@Colin_T
Yea, you put them each in their own bag and then put them in a cooler with lukewarm water. I think.

@Colin_T wrote an excellent little blurb on how to move fish by car. I’m not sure where it is though...

Just a pair in that tank. I have always thought with cichlids the easiest way to keep them happy is to divide the tank up into areas ( using driftwood or rocks ) with defined boundaries almost like rooms. Then you will find the fish will know where their territories start and end and they pretty much will keep to themselves. Try never to move those things around.

Just a pair in that tank. I have always thought with cichlids the easiest way to keep them happy is to divide the tank up into areas ( using driftwood or rocks ) with defined boundaries almost like rooms. Then you will find the fish will know where their territories start and end and they pretty much will keep to themselves. Try never to move those things around.
And if you move them around take all the fish out at once, so none have a jump on establishing boundaries.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back