How to deal with possible blue green algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seeing that the nitrates sit around 10-15ppm, I don't do major water changes that frequently as I still want some nitrates for the plants
Aquarium plants prefer ammonia as their source of nitrogen. They only use nitrate if there isn't enough ammonia. Plants have to turn nitrate into ammonia to use it, and this wastes energy.
My tanks run at zero nitrate, or at least so low that the tester always reads zero. My tap water has 3 ppm nitrate according to my water supplier's website. Admittedly I have only 'easy' plants but they grow well even with zero nitrate.

Aquarium plants prefer ammonia as their source of nitrogen. They only use nitrate if there isn't enough ammonia. Plants have to turn nitrate into ammonia to use it, and this wastes energy.
My tanks run at zero nitrate, or at least so low that the tester always reads zero. My tap water has 3 ppm nitrate according to my water supplier's website. Admittedly I have only 'easy' plants but they grow well even with zero nitrate.
If your nitrates are still high, you could add some terrestrial plants growing out the top. I hear pothos is especially effective.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back