How should I go about switching to a new filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kat1053

Reaction score
So I just bought a betta but the filter that I have is quite strong and I noticed the fish is getting pushed around quite a bit (itā€™s one of those ones where thereā€™s a little waterfall going into the tank) so I put a little sponge in the outflow but so the flow is slowed a bit and ran to the store and grabbed a sponge filter thatā€™s more suitable for a betta. I donā€™t want to mess up the water of my tank though I am new to fish keeping but Iā€™ve heard replacing a filter can mess up the water cycle? Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m wording that right but any advice would be great, I havenā€™t put the sponge filter in yet

If you can put the filter cartridge from the old filter in the new filter (along with the new cartridge), you should be able to ā€˜instantā€™ cycle.

If you can put the filter cartridge from the old filter in the new filter (along with the new cartridge), you should be able to ā€˜instantā€™ cycle.
I canā€™t do that because itā€™s a completely different type of filter itā€™s like 1/4 of the size unfortunately

is it an internal filter or it the round type air pump driven sponge filter? You can cut up old media to fit the new filter if it's a cartridge type. Or wrap the old media around the round sponge filter if it's that type and secure with a twist tie.

Yes, what kind of filter is the new one, and what kind is the old one?

Cut away the sides of a plastic drinks bottle leaving the bottom and a few inches of one side. Make a hole in the bottom of what remains of the bottle and insert a suction cup. Stick it to the back of the tank so that the remaining side of the cup is underneath the "waterfall". The water should now hit the plastic and disperse gently throughout the tank, and shield the waters surface from direct, heavy turbulence. Adjust the height of the 'shield' as needed. Have the sponge filter running gently alongside it for a few weeks while it cycles. When it has, remove the HOB and the plastic shield and turn up the sponge filter to the desired power.

Most reactions

Back