How often to clean external filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BSM_81

Reaction score
Hi, i have two external filters running on my tank (470ltr). An fx4 and a 307. I also have a u3 internal filter. The 307 was brought as i set up a grow out tank in an outbuilding but living in the uk, i struggled to keep the tank temperature to a good level.

I wanted to know how ofter does every one clean out the external filters? The bio load on my tank is not too heavy i think. Largest fish is a green Sevrum, red spot sevrum, large pleco.

I do my internal filters every 2 weeks and externals once a month.

I run a AquaOne nautilus 2700 on my main tank and clean every 1-2 months

New filters that have not established should not be cleaned until they are 6-8 weeks old.

Established biological filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better.

Filter media/ materials get washed out in a bucket of tank water and the media is re-used. The bucket of dirty water is poured on the garden/ lawn.

Filters are full of fish poop and all the water in the aquarium gets filtered through them. If the filter is dirty and full of fish poop, the water is going to be dirty (even if it's visibly clean) and contain a lot more harmful substances compared to water that passes through a clean filter.

One school of thought is to clean when the water flow slows down, indicating the media is becoming clogged. Another school of thought is that it's best to get the crud out of the system as organics in the filter decompose and pollute the water. Cleaning mechanical media frequently never hurts and rinsing bio-media in treated or tank water merely makes it a better platform for beneficial biology. Once a tank is established (six months or more) filters can be cleaned even more aggressively as there is far more BB in the tank, especially the substrate, than in any filter.

I'm in agreement with previous posts.

About every 2 weeks is the going rate but a lot of it depends on your stocking and setup.

If a lot of pleco poop is being sucked into the filter, it'll gunk up faster.

I use a pre filter sponge that absolutely has to be cleaned every week. This however keeps the rest of my filter media cleaner and I can easily go a month.... Although I still opt for every 2 weeks. If I'm low on time, I don't feel bad missing a week.

Thanks for the replies, i usually clean each one 2 weeks apart. This tank has been set up for about a year, although the fx4 is closer to 2 years. Is there any harm in cleaning both filters together?

another question, what is best to clear out tanins from new wood? I left it to soak for a week in a bucket, changing the water every other day. Carbon or purigen?

Just make sure you rinse the media in tank water and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Depending on the size of the wood, it can take anywhere between a few days to months for the tannins to leech.

I have 2 large pieces in a bucket right now and I'm doing exactly as you are. I use hot water and I'm assuming this is going to take 2 weeks or more. The water is brown within a few hours at the moment.

A smaller price about 6 to 8 inches took a week the last time I did this.

You can boil it and that'll speed the process up.

If this takes too long, I may add the wood and emprace the tannins temporarily. It isn't bad for the fish and looks pretty cool in some setups.

Just make sure you rinse the media in tank water and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Depending on the size of the wood, it can take anywhere between a few days to months for the tannins to leech.

I have 2 large pieces in a bucket right now and I'm doing exactly as you are. I use hot water and I'm assuming this is going to take 2 weeks or more. The water is brown within a few hours at the moment.

A smaller price about 6 to 8 inches took a week the last time I did this.

You can boil it and that'll speed the process up.

If this takes too long, I may add the wood and emprace the tannins temporarily. It isn't bad for the fish and looks pretty cool in some setups.

i couldn’t find a saucepan big enough to boil the wood.

tbh the tannins are not as i thought, just weighed the wood down with a rock. i think it will set the tank off once i can move the rock away.
Thanks for the filter info.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back