How often should I be doing water changes now that my tank is cycled?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I’m curious to see how much I should be changing now that my tank has cycled and how often. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

A lot depends on how your nitrates get over the week. Weekly gravel cleaning and water changes should be done. I do between 50 and 75% w/c each week. Goldies get 75% and rest get at least 50%. Actually, my bettas get changes of about 30% every other day because I have a very old man in there.

A lot depends on how your nitrates get over the week. Weekly gravel cleaning and water changes should be done. I do between 50 and 75% w/c each week. Goldies get 75% and rest get at least 50%. Actually, my bettas get changes of about 30% every other day because I have a very old man in there.
Thank you for your help, I always make sure I gravel clean during this week. After all I wouldn’t want to be in a tank full of built up waste. Our fishes have it tough sometimes. I’ll maybe start doing 50% some weeks as opposed to 75% in accordance to my peramters.

Thanks for the advice :)

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for your reply.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back