How many times a day do you feed fry?

letbene

Reaction score
Hey all,

So about a week or so ago I moved my pair of albino corys from my 5 gallon to my twenty gallon tank. They had laid eggs for the third time the week before but they were all gone from the side of the tank where she had attached them so I assumed they all got eaten, again. However, a few days after I moved the adults I happened to walk by the five gallon which was still operational but had nothing in it (or so I thought). I saw a whole bunch of little cory fry swimming around, about twelve of them approximately. Anyway for the past few days I've been feeding them flake food that I crush up really, really fine like powder and also daphnia. They seem to be doing really well with it. I can tell that they're growing larger and they're swimming around happily.

My question is, how many times a day should fry be fed? Should you follow the same feeding rules with fry as with adults or do they need to be fed more often? Right now I'm feeding them in the morning and at night. Also, is it okay to stick with the flake since they seem to be eating that okay or should I switch to the liquid fry food?

Thanks for any help!

:D Laurie

definitely feed then lesser amounts of food but do it 4 times a day. Thsi will establish solid growth in the early development stage and will help them be healthy as they get older. For cories the flakes are alright but if you can suppliment with brine shrimp. HTH :)

Hi letbene :)

Cory eggs only take 3 or 4 days to hatch, so they probably hatched before you knew it. :nod:

As tiny as they are, they are probably eating the Daphna and microscopic creatures that live in a healthy tank. I suspect that they are probably too small to eat the crushed flakes.

Liquid fry food is a good alternative. When they are 2 to 3 weeks old,(depending on their size), you can also start feeding them little bits of very finely chopped live blackworms.

The most serious problem you face, especially if you have gravel on the bottom of your tank, is keeping it clean, so take the greatest care not to let uneaten food accumulate.

I like to remove the gravel after my corys spawn, because it's so much easier to clean the tank. You might want to consider doing this the next time they spawn.

I've also had great success with culturing microworms to feed to my cory fry. Since it's live food, it's highly nutritious and the fry eat it readily.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back