How many tannins are too much?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday I renovated my 10 gallon housing a single male betta. I added a larger piece of wood and the water started darkening. Today the concentration of tannins is really thick, and I believe it's still releasing. I've only scrubbed the wood down in the sink with a toothbrush for treatment. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit tannin tolerance for bettas? Should I release some of the tannins out of the water, or is it a constant sort of thing?

There is really no such thing as, "To much tannins". Bettas breeders even say that tannins can help heal injuries in bettas!

Will you please upload a pictures of his tank?

Tannins will continue leeching from wood for months or even years. It is harmless to fish and I have had tanks you couldn't see into because they were so dark (think black coffee). The fish were fine in this water. If it gets too bad, do big daily water changes to dilute it.

There is really no such thing as, "To much tannins". Bettas breeders even say that tannins can help heal injuries in bettas!

Will you please upload a pictures of his tank?
Forgive the gravel I have it in with holes so I don't break the cycle. As long as it doesn't harm the fish I'm definitely okay with it! Are there any special things that need to be done to maintain a healthy (brackish/blackwater?) aquarium?

Attachments

• 20200528_105240.jpg
    20200528_105240.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
I agree. Brackish, in the wild, is where saltwater and freshwater meet up and mix together. So the water is not totally saltwater, but its not totally freshwater either.

Now if you want a blackwater tank, thats a different story. I would say just leave the driftwood in there and do weekly water changes as you normally would. Good luck!

Same maintenance. If you want it to permanently be blackwater you will have to add tannins when the driftwood slows down releasing them

just add some dried dead Indian Almond leaves or oak leaves..they release tannins slowly

Wait until Your Water is Pure Black Coloured, looks like Black Coffe. that's when you get too much Tannins, Which is never I guess

As @Colin_T said, even if it is pure black, it still can't harm your fish. It would juts be discussing for you to look at, lol.

Ah I see. So my tank is not permanently Blackwater as the tannin release will slow down, but currently it would be?
Correct. And either is fine for your betta

Correct. And either is fine for your betta
Awesome. I was hoping for something at least a little like this as I know tannins are better for betta health so I'm really happy I didn't have to wait for almond leaves. It is w little hard to see him in the shadier areas of the tank, but I'll definitely live until the next water change lol

This is what the tank looks like now. Even darker than yesterday!
20200529_163458.jpg

Awesome. I was hoping for something at least a little like this as I know tannins are better for betta health so I'm really happy I didn't have to wait for almond leaves. It is w little hard to see him in the shadier areas of the tank, but I'll definitely live until the next water change lol

This is what the tank looks like now. Even darker than yesterday!View attachment 105529
It looks nice :) my 55 gallon is a bit dark right now. Not like that but still orange water. My family told me I need to clean my tank but I told them it was just tannins :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back