How Is Bacteria Beneficial To Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

As the heading suggests. How is it beneficial?

IMO this should be read and understood before you even have fish but here is some reading that explains

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/271928-the-nitrogen-cycle/

it breaks down the poop so keep the water clean, other than that ive realy never asked :good:

As the heading suggests. How is it beneficial?

IMO this should be read and understood before you even have fish but here is some reading that explains

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/271928-the-nitrogen-cycle/

Ah, i think i understand. I had a feeling it was something along those lines. Just thought i'd double check !!

Well you sure did double check, you opened 2 threads to ask the same question :shout:

^ :lol:

You're not looking after fish in a fish tank really... You're looking after the bacteria!

^ :lol:

You're not looking after fish in a fish tank really... You're looking after the bacteria!

The guy at my LFS said to me look after the water and the fish keep themselves !! apart from the feeding aspect obviously !!

ok, there is a type of bacteria in the air and in the fish tank that lives on ammonia, the more ammonia the more bacteria as it uses up ammonia it produces as its waste product nitrite, also their is a different type of bacteria that lives on nitrites this bacteria is much slower growing though, as it uses up nitrites it produces nitrates, nitrates are used up by plants, plants use nitrates and produce oxygen, your fish use oxygen and produce ammonia, this is called

ta da

A CYCLE

anything that interfers with this causes a break and an over produce of one of the above products,

everyone who keeps anything from a fish in a bowl to the london aquarium should understand this process, and if they did they would next keep a fish in a bowl, especially a fruit bowl.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back