How Hard Can It Be...

It's perfectly OK to pour boiling water into the water that is already in the tank, to bump the temp up (providing there's no fish).
It's a stupid thing to do, If a large amount of boiling water went to one side, there is a chance it would crack. It's stupid because you don't even have to do it. Why would anyone take the risk?

glass cracks only when it has had water at boiling temperature kept in it for a period of time, and then is suddenly cooled. it will more or less explode. there is nothing wrong with adding boiling water to and aquarium providing it has no fish in it and already has some water in.
If a large-ish amount of boiling water hits a plane of glass which does not yet have water on it, it can crack / shatter. Why do you think people don't put hot drinks in normal glasses?

Like I said before, you would have to be an idiot to go through what is an unneccessary risk.

Also, I think the combo of sand, lots of plants, and bog/mopani wood is really nice. Don't forget to keep showing us pictures.
 
thats why i said if there is already water in the aquarium, so it is instantly diluted and does not come into contact with the glass. well thats what i meant
 
Why do you think people don't put hot drinks in normal glasses?

'Cos they're hot, and you don't want burnt fingers when you pick the cup up (hence, using one with a handle)?
i agree glass is used in labs with boiling water in them and they will only fracture if you boil water in them and then put cold in the glass is unstable and fractures
 
Why do you think people don't put hot drinks in normal glasses?
They do :unsure: Yes, the first time I saw someone pour boiling water (straight from the kettle) into a pint glass to make a "cup" of tea I too thought "oh shhhhhhhh-ugar". It's actually fine.
What isn't fine is to take a cold glass (chilled from the fridge) and fill it with boiling water, or to plunge a hot glass into cold water as this causes thermal shock and is what causes the crack (this is why you shouldn't pour hot water over your frozen windscreen).
Adding boiling water to your aquarium (providing no fish and that you already have some water in there) isn't going to be a risk.
 
Keithoms, the MTS are put into a tank to stir the sand and prevent an anaerobic condition developing, they do not eat fish waste but will eat excess food. If you have fish waste starting to show, that is a hazard of having a single color sand instead of a natural mixed color sand. The single color of some sands means that anything that does not match color exactly will stand out. The only way I know to actually remove the waste is to use a gravel vac or similar device.
 
Actually guys it depends entirely on what processes the glass has gone through... I have seen boiling water shatter a glass at room temperature. Do you honestly all believe it's worth the risk? Putting in some half boiled water with some cold water will do the job fine, plus there is then NO RISK AT ALL. Even if you pour it into a tank of cold water, depending on the way the boiling water spreads through the cold, it could all go to one side and could still cause a crack. It's not that low a probability, so why take the chance? Can you honestly say that it is logical to take that risk?
 
But, Jallen, it isn't a risk...
Incidentally, I was watching Heston Blumenthal earlier. He had this stock boiling in a pot, poured it from the pot into glass bowls and then stuck them straight into and ice-bath to cool quickly.
Sorry to keithoms for the post going so far off topic, I'm loving your sand - did the same thing myself only days ago, was well worth it though =)
 
Looking good. I would also recommend trumpet snails, they basically turn everything over, I never clean the bottom of my big tank, I rely on an army of trumpet snails to drag leaf debris, uneaten food and fish food under the sand where it can decompose and provide nutrients to the plant roots.

They don't seem to entirely stop the sand going anaerobic in my tanks, but I count that as a good thing ;). I've got loads if you want some.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top