How does one afford this hobby??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This hobby can be really expensive if you buy everything brand new and go for all the latest gadgets, but it can also be dirt cheap if you go for the basics. You can buy good quality second hand tanks for a bargain (or for free if you patiently browse the different forums), same with equipment such as filters, substrate and heaters. Fish can be considerably cheaper from local breeders than in the stores, and you can buy food in bulk and freeze it so that it lasts.

You can also recover some cash by selling any old equipment that you don’t need and selling fish that you breed (or trade them for store credit). I used to run 7 tanks, and they cost me around £200 to get the tanks, equipment and initial stocking. You can definitely keep fish on a shoe string budget if you’re careful and patient.

Buy as much as you can online (even fish), much cheaper in the long run over buying from the LFS.

Buying fish online also has an expensive overnight shipping charge, so that’s another thing to consider.

Buy used tanks on craigslist or elsewhere
That’s how I got my 90 G tank with 20 G sump tank, 20 fish, all in a beautiful mahogany finished cabinet & more. Also bought 10 G tank with equipment on Craigslist

I’m barely able to afford it. Of course, I keep a reef tank, so it’s MUCH more expensive.

Why do I keep doing it? Because I love it. It’s my passion.

I’m also a teenager, so around 90% of all the money I earn goes to this.
Same... Lol

Well, I've spent almost a 1,000 dollars in a year of fishkeeping. I have 5 tanks, and am dropping another 200 on some more fish tomorrow! So then why do I keep doing this?

Because it's my hobby! I love animals. I got my first Lizard at 6 or 7, and have since gotten a scorpion, mantises, tortoise, cats, dogs, and more. I've just skimmed the top of fishkeeping, and I am always interested in learning new things. I would like to be an exotic vet when I am older. And also animals help soothe my anxiety and stess - it's a added bonus!

It is easy to spend over 100 quid on good quality fish when first setting up an aquarium......and one of my suppliers doesn't charge shipping when you do that ;)

I guess you spend the most at the initial start up from the aquarium, aquarium cabinet/stand, filters, heater, lighting and probably also from expensive sand or gravel and driftwoods.

If you can source for cheap aquarium, aquarium cabinet/stand, filters and lighting, it will save you quite a lot of money.

I'm fortunate that we can buy cheaper aquarium and aquarium cabinet/stand, filters and lightings from China.
A new 30 gallons aquarium will cost me about USD 30 and a new 40 gallons will cost about USD 40 or less.

I don't buy expensive branded aquariums, in case one day I decide to give up this hobby due to other commitments.
Also, I don't go for large tank that require a few people to carry.
All my tanks can be carried by myself alone.

For an average size hang on filter(China brand), I can get one for about USD15-25.

Next is the lighting. If you don't have plants which demand high light intensity and luminance, you can get one for easily at USD20-30 over here.
But if you need good lighting for high demand plants, then it will be costly.

In the end, it actually depends on the "brands" of the equipment/tanks and "size" that you buy.

As for fish, as long as you don't touch on the expensive fish like Arowana, Stingray, some Plecos species, high end Discus, unique Apistogrammas species or some exotic and unique fish, it won't cost you too much.
All my Discus costs less than USD 20 each.
Fish(other than the above) are cheap in my country as we have many fish farms in our country & neighboring countries.

Last edited:
Haha I can relate! I’m also a beginner and thought I’ll just buy a tank and 1-2 fish max thinking it would cost me max $500 for everything single thing I would need including fish. So far I’ve managed Tao spend $1500 in one month. 😬

At least I’ve got almost everything I could possibly need now for a fish emergency and all that stuff in the photos is just for a single Convict Cichlid. 🤣

Attachments

• 236B45ED-AB19-4BDB-AE8E-B89EA940569B.jpeg
    236B45ED-AB19-4BDB-AE8E-B89EA940569B.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 48

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back