How does one afford this hobby??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Let's be real for a second. 😂 How do you afford this hobby? I'm a beginner, as in, less than 6 months into it. I have 3 tanks and enjoy aquascaping and fishkeeping, but I've spent SOOO much money. Like, hundreds and hundreds. To make matters worse, practically every time I run into a problem and post about it, someone recommends that I throw out what I've already done and start over, or buy some expensive product that's "better" that what I've got. My husband isn't too thrilled, to say the least.

So like, seriously, how do you afford it? Are there secret tricks to save money? Not trying to get personal, just want to know if anyone has some good ideas I never thought of. 😁
Best advice is don't let MTS get a hold of you. I can see that it's too late lol.
I've stuck to one 87ltr tank and enjoy it immensely.
I can totally see why people have multiples. I've had to stop myself a few times.

Bit late jumping on this so apologies 😁

I am married have 4 kids & 2 mortgaged houses (1 is Buy to Let,So no expense really),We have 2 x cars so obviously 2 x running costs. My kids do lots of outside school activities too that are expensive, Gymnastics,Dancing,Swimming & Music lessons
I have 3 tanks (only 2 running)
I look for bargains in second hand social media & as mentioned in a few posts Ebay, Amazon & such like for plants. I hardly ever buy livestock as i like to breed if & where i can. I have another very expensive hobby too & yes fish keeping takes all your cash, So i never have any money 🤣

My own MTS is raging once again.......I need convincing that the chest of drawers cannot move a few inches to the right and I cannot have a 6th aquarium.....

I keep asking the other finned hooligans if I should or not.....they aren't co-operating....too busy munching and getting jiggy with it

I will resist the urge...I will resist the urge....I must resist the urge.....

Can I ask how many tanks you have?
You can...two.
This is my Journal.
Whilst I have a 4-foot tank in storage, I'm currently content with what I have, being somewhat restricted for physical space.

Once upon a time, I had a whole tanked cellar that I turned into my Mancave-cum-Fishroom, my sanctuary from The Real.
I had four tanks then.

Omg i agree!!!! Im a beginner too its been 2 months and all im doing is fish research and purchase maaaaaad fish stuff from amazon..

I get 10 dollars pocket money a week, so i use all my money for my aquariums. I have 1 3 gallon tank with a betta nad shrimp and i have 1 8 gallon saltwater tank with live coral, a clownfish and some starfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back