How does my Halfmoon Betta male look?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LHT

Reaction score
Just brought home this Halfmoon Betta from Petco today, thought he looks decently healthy but this is my first Betta ever, any fin rot or signs of sickness? I appreciate any comments!

Attachments

• 7CC9CE11-DD08-45D7-9068-30FC6F177B29.jpeg
    7CC9CE11-DD08-45D7-9068-30FC6F177B29.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 231
Hi

He looks good,

How big is his tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Has it got a heater?
What are you going to feed him?
Any plants in the tank? Are they live or plastic?

Hi

He looks good,

How big is his tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Has it got a heater?
What are you going to feed him?
Any plants in the tank? Are they live or plastic?

It is a 29 gallon tank
Yes it is cycled
It has a fluval heater set to 78
Going to feed him aqueon floating pellets
About 12 plants in the tank

Hes in a 29 g on his own?

What other fish are you thinking of getting?

What other fish are you thinking of getting?

Probably some livebearers, if ther is any aggression at all I would put him into a different tank. Have you had any experience with Betta Fish in a community?

Have you had any experience with Betta Fish in a community?
Yes I do.

This is the best advice you will get as far as Bettas and tank mates go.

Some Bettas are fine with tank mates others are not, Some Bettas will kill everything in the tank others will not and some may be fine for a while then they just snap and attack everything while others become shy and withdrawn stressed and start glass surfing and fin biting.

Male Bettas are solitary fish are best kept that way, Guppies are the worst tank mates because the males have long flashy fins like Bettas, fish like neon tetras can be nippy and attack the Bettas tail.

This guy even killed a BN pleco

He also hates ping pong balls.

While this guy didnt even bother shrimp.

Hi. He looks wonderfully healthy! His fins look nice and healthy, and his coloring looks nice. I see no obvious signs of ich or columnaris.

I too have experience with keeping bettas in community tanks, or with tank mates in general. And in my experience, when the betta is the first fish added to the tank, any new additions can be viewed as invaders in his space. I have had more successful community integrations with bettas added last. I've noticed a higher chance of aggression when adding new fish to a tank that already has a betta in it.

Now this may or may not happen with your betta. Your betta may be totally fine with you introducing new fish into his space. But it's something to be mindful of. And you should be prepared for him to reject tank mates. But just because he rejects tank mates doesn't mean he's rejecting tank mates. It could just be the "you're invading my space" thing. If it doesn't go well, try removing the betta, rearrange the tank, give all the other fish a few a days to settle into the tank, and then put him back in and see how it goes.

Yes I do.

This is the best advice you will get as far as Bettas and tank mates go.

Some Bettas are fine with tank mates others are not, Some Bettas will kill everything in the tank others will not and some may be fine for a while then they just snap and attack everything while others become shy and withdrawn stressed and start glass surfing and fin biting.

Male Bettas are solitary fish are best kept that way, Guppies are the worst tank mates because the males have long flashy fins like Bettas, fish like neon tetras can be nippy and attack the Bettas tail.

This guy even killed a BN pleco

He also hates ping pong balls.

While this guy didnt even bother shrimp.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! Thinking about it I may move him to a 10 gallon so I don’t risk anything. I appreciate the advice! And btw your bettas crack me up haha!

Thanks again,

- LHT -

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back