How do you disinfect your quarantine tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
For those of you who use quarantine or hospital tanks occasionally, how are you cleaning and disinfecting it between uses? I don't have room to keep my tank up all the time. I plan to use for a few weeks each time I get a new fish before adding to my display tank. This shouldn't be often so I'll be breaking it down and storing until I need again. Would I use bleach or hydrogen peroxide? Is one better than the other? And at what ratio should I mix with water?

Also - not sure if this makes a difference but my QT tank is acrylic, not glass. I'm not sure if the acrylic absorbs any of the bleach???? I just want to make sure I'm maintaining a safe environment in this tank and not inadvertently doing something wrong during the cleaning process.

Any input is appreciated - thanks!

If the fish in the quarantine tank don't develop any diseases, just wash it out with tap water and let it dry. Most fish diseases won't survive drying.

If the fish died from protozoan, fungus or bacterial infections, you can either add a heap of salt after the fish have been removed. Leave the salt in the tank for 24 hours and then wash it out with fresh water and let it dry.

If the fish have tuberculosis or the gourami Iridovirus, then use household bleach straight out of the bottle. Pour some bleach in the empty tank, swirl it around and wipe the bleach over everything. Leave for 30 minutes and then rinse it out really well. Let it dry.

Bleach is fine for plastics but not suitable for glass aquariums held together with silicon. The bleach causes the silicon to break down.

If the fish in the quarantine tank don't develop any diseases, just wash it out with tap water and let it dry. Most fish diseases won't survive drying.

If the fish died from protozoan, fungus or bacterial infections, you can either add a heap of salt after the fish have been removed. Leave the salt in the tank for 24 hours and then wash it out with fresh water and let it dry.

If the fish have tuberculosis or the gourami Iridovirus, then use household bleach straight out of the bottle. Pour some bleach in the empty tank, swirl it around and wipe the bleach over everything. Leave for 30 minutes and then rinse it out really well. Let it dry.

Bleach is fine for plastics but not suitable for glass aquariums held together with silicon. The bleach causes the silicon to break down.
Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back