How Do They Get Wild Cought Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I was just wondering how they cetch fish? I know they must'nt use hooks, because of obvious reasons, and they dont use nets being pulled from boats, do they? It'd be hard that way. They wouldn't know wether they were getting Percula clownfish or Ocelles(sp?).
Do they just cetch what they cetch, and sell what they have?

Most of them are unskilled divers, using deadly cyanide to stun marine fish. They just catch things that look valuable. And sell them. So much cyanide is sometimes used that the fish have a 90% mortality rate. Its very sad. There is a food fishing method called dynamite fishing, where bottles are filled with potassium nitrate and detonated on the reef. It breaks the swimbladders of nearby fish, so they float to the top. For good. :-( Then a second bottle is often detonated, to kill any predators that may be coming. They add to the food income.

Many poor families of Indonesia have no choice. They do this to keep their families alive. The world is overflowing with unfairness :/ And the careless dominant species just often comes out on top.

In freshwater, nearly all fish in pet stores are captive bred. So in freshwater, overfishing is not a concern. Occasionally, people may drag a net through the waters of the amazon to catch altums, cardinals, and electric catfish, as well as others such as elephant nose, ect. Fishing them presents no danger to the continuity of the species, because they are only seldom fished. :)

True Precula and Ocelleous(sp?) Clownfish they can actually breed now, but they still catch them in the wild, they ethier cost the same or the ones born in captive are cheaper I forget.

In freshwater, nearly all fish in pet stores are captive bred. So in freshwater, overfishing is not a concern.

Are you sure about this part of your information? I have heard different.

Obviously, most livebearers are going to be captive bred, and the poor breeding of neons and dwarf gouramis is well known, but what of other popular species such as:

clown loaches (difficult to breed in captivity)

many corys (recent shortage due to drought in Amazon- surely that must mean wild caught fish),

cardinals (said to be hardier than neons because wild caught- though this may have changed)

plecos (difficult to breed)

bala sharks (need to be big to breed= expensive)

khuulie loaches (only available seasonally, which again suggests mainly wild caught fish)

Pretty well every lfs stocks fish like these, and I would be very surprised if it really proves more economical to set up big breeding programmes for them rather than send some poor underpaid fisherman out with a net. Even if some of them are possible to breed, and it may happen now and again, most dealers are going to go with the cheapest option.

conterey to popular belief, oddball,plecostomus,Cyprinid and Characin are wild caught with giant dip nets.
Some are then sold and others are then taken to fish farms where the females are injected with hormones to produce offspring which are shipped to your friendly LFS.

In some cases they don't care what they catch, they just need to make a living.
But some go for certain species, which bring in the moolah.

DD

taken to fish farms where the females are injected with hormones to produce offspring which are shipped to your friendly LFS.
So what do they do with the males? Do they sell them along with the offspring?
Do they sell the femakles, or use her again?

It dpeneds what the seller wants to do really.

DD

Most tropical fish are caught using a method known as seine netting, this is where a long net with a weighted bottom is cast out and then drawn in by two people trapping any fish that are on the wrong side of the net. Another method that is used to catch mainly plecs and pimeloids is to wade in the water searching along the bank for any holes in which a fish might hide, once a hole is located the fisherman puts his hands into the hole and grabs hold of anything that is living in there .

Most of them are unskilled divers, using deadly cyanide to stun marine fish. They just catch things that look valuable. And sell them. So much cyanide is sometimes used that the fish have a 90% mortality rate. Its very sad.

Cyanide fishing is illegal, and while it still occurs in some parts of the world most fish are not caught this way.

Another method that is used to catch mainly plecs and pimeloids is to wade in the water searching along the bank for any holes in which a fish might hide, once a hole is located the fisherman puts his hands into the hole and grabs hold of anything that is living in there .
and what if it's not a plec or other less aggressive fish hiding in there????

A little too risky for my liking -_- .

i prefer my hands where they are supposed to be.....at the end of my arms and not in some savage fishes mouth!!

steve

More to the point what if a Anaconda or turtle/terrapin is living there!!

Another method that is used to catch mainly plecs and pimeloids is to wade in the water searching along the bank for any holes in which a fish might hide, once a hole is located the fisherman puts his hands into the hole and grabs hold of anything that is living in there.

More to the point what if a Anaconda or turtle/terrapin is living there!!
People here in the US actually catch turtles that way. They say that the holes are too small for the turtle to turn around so when they go in, their tail is always toward the outside so you grab the tail and not the biting end. Personally, I'm not that brave (as I don't know if anyone bothered to tell the turtle that he can't turn around) but I have seen it done. As thebaldranger said, I prefer to keep my hands.

Most tropical fish are caught using a method known as seine netting, this is where a long net with a weighted bottom is cast out and then drawn in by two people trapping any fish that are on the wrong side of the net. Another method that is used to catch mainly plecs and pimeloids is to wade in the water searching along the bank for any holes in which a fish might hide, once a hole is located the fisherman puts his hands into the hole and grabs hold of anything that is living in there .
CFC has it covered.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back