How Do They Get Wild Cought Fish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Chestnut moray seems to be useing old data. with the exception of a few species from the indo pacific most fish are caught in nets by divers, cyanide catching is both illegal and inneficient and if a suplier is shipping out fish that all die then buyers tend to stop buying from that supplier and go for suppliers with higher survival rates.

None of the fish that you get are dynamite caught, not one, zero, zip, nada. However tank bred clowns are redily available these days.

From what i've heard, about 40% of fish available to lfs's have not yet been bred in captivity yet, so in an essence are wild caught.
As to the hormone use in fish farms on clown loachs i heard about that aswell but i heard they had alot of issues after a while because they started to get major issues with inbreeding and birth defects/poor batchs of fry with low survival rates, so catching clown loachs from the wild is still very common.

Another method that is used to catch mainly plecs and pimeloids is to wade in the water searching along the bank for any holes in which a fish might hide, once a hole is located the fisherman puts his hands into the hole and grabs hold of anything that is living in there .
A little too risky for my liking -_- .
I prefer my hands where they are supposed to be.....at the end of my arms and not in some savage fishes mouth!!

I think we all do.
Someone mentioned that poorer people in other countries...
Where do they get the money to ship/selll the fish they cetch? How do they keep em alive?
Or are wild cought fish cought by wealthier business men?

Id be the most worried about snappers and uther soft shell turtles, where you can easily loose hand and a leg... Whether in a case of an anaconda you can escape with couple of stiches if you have some hot water/alcohole.

If I was in some lake, river, whatever sticking my arms into random holes trying to catch me something I think that

A. I wouldn't be smart enough to bring along me kettle
B. It wouldn't be my first reaction to spray hot water at them and I think even if I had a bottle of scoulding water in my hands I'd end up dropping it.

Guess I'm just a wimp ;)

Although alcohols a different story. I'm sure if you're crazy enough for this job you must be on the drink so you're bound to take it with you :p

My data is a little old, I read it on Wikipedia. If a twenty foot anaconda grabbed me, i would do anything i could. It is extremly rare to be killed by an anaconda, unless you are a smalll child. You have a far bigger chance of being struck by a lightning bolt.

The vast majority of freshwater fish are captive bred, including plecs and cories. They are raised in fish farms. And although cyanide is illegal, people still do it. As well as dynamiting. People illegaly download music and pirate dvds. Its illegal, but people still do it. :sad:

Where do you get the idea that the vast majority of tropical fish are captive bred? With the exception of a few small fish in our sons community tank and a couple of Cichlids (oscar and severum) all of the fish i have here are wild caught, thats 66 fish out of around 100.
In the more "bread and butter" type fish shops the selection of fish you see will have most likely be captive bred as it is commercially viable to set up breeding systems for these popular common fish but these really only make up a very small proportion of the fish actually available in the hobby

The vast majority of freshwater fish are captive bred, including plecs and cories. They are raised in fish farms

We still wait to see the evidence. Of course, breeding corys is not a difficult thing to do, but we have had enough threads on this and other forums to do with wild-bred corys for me to feel that this may not be such an uncommon thing. Same with plecs, and clown loaches. Basically, it all boils down to economics, I suspect.

I imagine what they do is send a dealer round the villages at certain times, locals go out with their nets, doesn't cost a lot or require much financial outlay for the people doing the catching; the shipping is then done by the dealer who gets most of the pay. Even so, a lot cheaper than setting up a fish farm to breed golden nugget plecs.

The only fish captive bred are going to be either
a) Very easy to breed
b ) Captive breeding is more profitable than wild catching
c) Specific colour varieties are needed/wanted

ie, they're not going to captive breed khulis as they're quite hard to sex/get to breed, are easily wild caught (in season) and there aren't any colour varieties needed (like there is in livebearers, bettas etc.). Apart from the awful conditions, wild caught fish are generally going to be healthier than captive bred as there is nowhere near the amount of inbeeding.

Where do you get the idea that the vast majority of tropical fish are captive bred? With the exception of a few small fish in our sons community tank and a couple of Cichlids (oscar and severum) all of the fish i have here are wild caught, thats 66 fish out of around 100.
In the more "bread and butter" type fish shops the selection of fish you see will have most likely be captive bred as it is commercially viable to set up breeding systems for these popular common fish but these really only make up a very small proportion of the fish actually available in the hobby

To be honest i cant remember where i read the fact now, when it comes down to it though a large number of fish that end up in the aquarium trade are wild caught and it appears many wild caught fish are generally unsuitable for the vast majority of tanks because they grow huge.

Common and sailfin plecs are bred in captivity, but they are often bred in large ponds because they need a deep mud bank to lay there eggs in and raise them, the problem with this though is that common an sailfin plecs can cross bred so you get alot of hybrids that are hard to tell exactly how large they'll get.
I don't know about the hole grabbing fish thing though, many plecs are covered in fur like bristles and adult sailfin and common plecs fins grow quite spikey at the edges- its easy to get hurt just by picking an adult one up with your hands.

Its rather easy to catch plecs with your hands, it is actually recommended. It is dangerous for an inexperience person or a highly agitated plec. And unless a fish is difficult to raise/breed, they will farm it. All it takes is an isolated pond with lots of the fish you want to breed. But most people do wild catch them.

Catching wild caught bettas seems tedious, but much easier than what I've read of other fish!

Find location..
search2.jpg

And grab..
scoop.jpg

Although there are all sorts of unpleasent things lurking around in the muck, I'm sure.

Most reactions

Back