How do I lower my nitrites

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm not sure if there is salt in the water but if there isn't, you can add some salt.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If/ when you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.
Nvm, I just looked and the first one is dead and the second looks like it’s on the verge of death bassicaly, the thing looks like it’s badly suffering, I am going to unfortunately euthanize it cause it looks litteraly exactly the same as the one that just died and it has some white string hanging from its fin, I don’t want to but the only thing I feel like the could save him right now is a quarantine tank which I don’t have.😔

Last edited:
Tubes

Attachments

• 6B9EF4F7-B64B-4BEF-90FB-E3A02BF9F559.jpeg
    6B9EF4F7-B64B-4BEF-90FB-E3A02BF9F559.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 23
What you didn't have, was The Fish Knowledge.
Hopefully, you do now. ;)
Yeah 100%, if I used the knowledge I have know When I spent like $300 on my fish tank, I would have actually bought the correct stuff and would have probably saved a lot of money from my current knowledge. But I still don’t know if the test strip had nitrites? Can you see any, it’s the second one and I litteraly can’t tell

Attachments

• 3378A86F-F6A6-4884-9A04-23393DD4ABFE.jpeg
    3378A86F-F6A6-4884-9A04-23393DD4ABFE.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 30
Here is one I took now, I don’t think I have any nitrites anymore.

Attachments

• C769811C-D2C6-44AE-9884-65F37D25CF44.jpeg
    C769811C-D2C6-44AE-9884-65F37D25CF44.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 26
alkalinity is concerningly high though

Yeah I’ve noticed that, do you know how I can fix that? I don’t know how harmful it is though to fish.
That might be part of the reason your fish are dying. This is far too high for guppies.

EDIT: I have no clue how to lower it, but I do know that's too high

GH is also high which means it is not suitable for soft water fish. But guppies and other hard water fish will be OK.

Yeah 100%, if I used the knowledge I have know When I spent like $300 on my fish tank, I would have actually bought the correct stuff and would have probably saved a lot of money from my current knowledge. But I still don’t know if the test strip had nitrites? Can you see any, it’s the second one and I litteraly can’t tell
Here is one I took now, I don’t think I have any nitrites anymore.
Both are not the completely untainted colour, so you have nitrites.
The amount you have is irrelevant, only zero is safe.

any amount of nitrite or ammonia is too much when there are fish in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back