How do I lower my nitrites

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just recently did a water change in my 10 gallon a couple days ago and got some new Java fern. I did a water test right now and I have nitrites!! Apparently itā€™s at the stress level, I donā€™t know if itā€™s harmful but how do I get rid of them? And I noticed one of my guppies has fin rot. I donā€™t know if that has to do with anything.

Water change! I would do a large water change whenever any nitrite or ammonia is noticeable on tests.
Ok I will do that, but what about the guppy? I donā€™t know what to do, he looks very lethargic.

Ok I will do that, but what about the guppy? I donā€™t know what to do, he looks very lethargic.
For fin rot I have just done daily water changes until it shows regrowth. Clean water is best for injuries.

I agree, for aquatic life water quality is everything, like the air we breathe, life depends on it. But there are products available that can help heal your guppyā€™s finrot. Not sure what stores/products are in your area, but you can get stuff online too. I keep diffent medicines on hand, for different situationsā€¦like herbal/natural remedies for mild ailments or sensitive fish, serious stuff for serious issues, etc. A good ā€œstress guardā€ product also helps with slime coat. I have API Melafix and Pimafix, which are apparently best used together (but only in a hospital tank cuz they kinda have a strong, lingering smell), as well as various products from Kordon and Seachem, which are both fairly new to me but Iā€™ve been having success. Seachem has a great Stressguard product and several broad spectrum meds. Kordon has some good natural remedies too. I spent a lot of time researching products before using anything on my fish. But something to help your fish is better than nothing at all, I think. Do some research and ask your local fish store for their recommendations too. The better educated you are, the better your fishā€™s chance for survival.

There are going to be multiple responses to this question Iā€™m sure. Many people here would just say test water daily and do large volume water change if you get any reading for nitrite. Some people might recommend trying aquarium salt on top of that.

Some would go further and recommend medication for the fin rot. This would be extremely hard to do as directed if youā€™re also doing daily large volume water changes, so if I were to go this route Iā€™d probably treat the fish in a separate tank/makeshift ā€œtankā€. Iā€™d only do that at this point if the fin rot was severe. Otherwise Iā€™d just observe to see if it improves on its own with the improving water quality.

If it were me I would add in something like Seachem Prime every couple of days to detoxify any nitrite that builds up in between water changes, but some on this forum would not recommend that. Listen to all of the different viewpoints and decide for yourself which route to take šŸ‘šŸ»

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Reduce feeding until ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm.

Add some liquid filter bacteria supplement, sold at most pet shops. Add a double dose every day for 1 week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria get drawn into the filter where they belong.

Don't replace filter media/ materials because they contain the good filter bacteria. Just wash the media out in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn. If you need to replace filter pads/ cartridges, put a piece of foam from another brand of filter into your filter and leave it there for a month before removing the old pad/ cartridge. Sponges last for years and get cleaned in a bucket of water, the same as the other media.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Reduce feeding until ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm.

Add some liquid filter bacteria supplement, sold at most pet shops. Add a double dose every day for 1 week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria get drawn into the filter where they belong.

Don't replace filter media/ materials because they contain the good filter bacteria. Just wash the media out in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn. If you need to replace filter pads/ cartridges, put a piece of foam from another brand of filter into your filter and leave it there for a month before removing the old pad/ cartridge. Sponges last for years and get cleaned in a bucket of water, the same as the other media.
I havenā€™t cleaned my filter media in a while so I will do that, and do you think the fin rot was caused by nitrites or something else? Just wondering cause I thought it was probably from nitrites but thatā€™s what I think. And here are some pictures of a water test I did right now, I can really tell if I have nitrite or not, I donā€™t think I do but I canā€™t really tell, what do you think?

Attachments

• 816EDB92-57FD-4CA1-8960-29B76439FF3D.jpeg
    816EDB92-57FD-4CA1-8960-29B76439FF3D.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 36
  • 0D46CFB6-F20C-44E2-BDB4-F8DED6582A50.jpeg
    0D46CFB6-F20C-44E2-BDB4-F8DED6582A50.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Fin rot is normally caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate). If you have nitrite, you might also have ammonia and that does more damage than nitrite.

Unfortunately though I just found the guppy with fin rot dead. I will admit he was lethargic before the fin rot happened. So I guess it was coming. I donā€™t know why he was so lethargic though, for one the nitrites only recently appeared which is when he got fin rot is when they appeared, but before that the water perimeters were fine, he was lethargic though. I would notice him always hiding even known his fins and body looked fine, Iā€™m guessing it was something internal. Not sure though.

I keep having to do large water changes cause of my nitrites always coming back!!! Can someone help tell me why this is happening!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back