How do I lower my nitrites

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

When ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 for a week then I would say you are cycled. If nitrates are high at the end of the cycle do another large water change.
One last question, so should I do like 3-4 water changes a week till nitrites stay at 0 for a week?would that be good? And how much water should I change.

Whilst it's preferable to have some live aquatic plants in the tank, it isn't a necessity if you have an established filter.
But the OP doesn't have an established (biological) filter.

People who apparently despise planted cycling (not yourself, I hasten to add), fail to realise that plants do not need to be firmly rooted and established, in order to do their thing. As long as they're alive, they'll do good for the tank and the faster growing the plant, the more good it'll do.
In emergencies, floating plants and/or even basic elodea pondweed will make a positive impact.

One last question, so should I do like 3-4 water changes a week till nitrites stay at 0 for a week?would that be good? And how much water should I change.
Please understand that nitrites, like ammonia, will burn the skin of the fish and, perhaps more importantly, their gills. Whilst both can recover, gills are more fragile and could be less effective, post-recovery.
Daily water changes might be necessary, or less, depending upon the nitrite levels...ideally, you're aiming for zero readings. What @Fishmanic suggests is helpful.

Whilst the plastic plants are not ideal for the purposes of cycling and water health, they will provide surfaces for beneficial bacteria to grow on, which is a Good Thing.
(They also offer some security, although their harder plastic nature will make them less safe in a fish-dashing emergency).

So in a nutshell ...

Test your water, if your readings for ammonia or nitrite are more than 0, do a big water change.

Leave tank for a little while, maybe half hour, then test again. If readings for ammonia or nitrite are more than 0, do another water change.

Repeat until readings are 0.

Next day...repeat as above....that's why it's so much easier to do a fishless cycle 🥴

So in a nutshell ...

Test your water, if your readings for ammonia or nitrite are more than 0, do a big water change.

Leave tank for a little while, maybe half hour, then test again. If readings for ammonia or nitrite are more than 0, do another water change.

Next day...repeat as above....that's why it's so much easier to do a fishless cycle 🥴
So, if you do that, you may as well put your fish in a washing machine on eco wash.

So in a nutshell ...

Is there a little tongue in cheek there? ;)

I need to behave myself on here, its getting more and more difficult 😬

Plants will do the trick and you can use prime too if you don't already

But the OP doesn't have an established (biological) filter.

People who apparently despise planted cycling (not yourself, I hasten to add), fail to realise that plants do not need to be firmly rooted and established, in order to do their thing. As long as they're alive, they'll do good for the tank and the faster growing the plant, the more good it'll do.
In emergencies, floating plants and/or even basic elodea pondweed will make a positive impact.

Please understand that nitrites, like ammonia, will burn the skin of the fish and, perhaps more importantly, their gills. Whilst both can recover, gills are more fragile and could be less effective, post-recovery.
Daily water changes might be necessary, or less, depending upon the nitrite levels...ideally, you're aiming for zero readings. What @Fishmanic suggests is helpful.

Whilst the plastic plants are not ideal for the purposes of cycling and water health, they will provide surfaces for beneficial bacteria to grow on, which is a Good Thing.
(They also offer some security, although their harder plastic nature will make them less safe in a fish-dashing emergency).
How high or low should the nitrites level be to depend if I should do daily water changes? Like 2.0 ammonia, would I have to do daily water changes for that?

So, if you do that, you may as well put your fish in a washing machine on eco wash.
Good way to wash out the nitrite! And if you put them in the tumbler instead of hanging them out they'll be all soft and snuggly

How high or low should the nitrites level be to depend if I should do daily water changes? Like 2.0 ammonia, would I have to do daily water changes for that?
Anything above 0 is not good and requires a large water change to lower it.

Be sure you shake the test bottles very thoroughly for accurate test results.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back